Bchad Farewell

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/ex-columbia-professor-found-dead-suspected-suicide-article-1.2928536

Really, really sad.

I had many thoughts while reading the letter, but I don’t think it’s appropriate to discuss.

I never met him in person, but as someone who’s been on here for almost 9 years I feel like I knew him. I’ll be forever indebted to him for the time he spent pouring his heart, soul, and wisdom into the words he wrote on here. I learned a lot from what he wrote, and his opinions and thoughts on future topics will undoubtedly be sorely missed.

I only wish he had seen these posts and read the emails and voicemails I’m sure he’s received from people who knew him better and had seen that there are a lot of people who care about him and would have been willing to help him get through tough times. Alas, judging from the letter, it’s very possible he knew that, and the only solace I take in this whole situation is that he seemed at peace with his decision.

I am deeply saddened. RIP, Bruce.

This is truly shocking and I find it hard to write my condolences because I am having a hard time accepting this has actually happened.

RIP, Bruce

I am a complete loss of words; I can’t believe this. Truly sad. He will certainly be missed.

This is shocking and deeply saddening. I only knew Bruce from his bounteous writings here on AF. Those writings made me feel like I knew him personally. I wish I could have met him in real life.

I disagree with you there Bruce. You made it a better place if only it was here on AF (which I am sure it was not). Your writings here exemplifed virtue, balance, decency, diginity, and wisdom among others. They inspired and influenced us and we will carry them with us to spread inspiration in our own circles of influence, thus making the world a better place.

RIP, you were and will remain a pillar here.

RIP Bruce/BChad. You will be missed. I did not know you danced. Dance in the next life brother, I’ll dance a salsa in your name this weekend.

I am shocked and saddened by this news.

I was broadly aware of some of the challenges that Bruce was facing, though mostly only through inference and “connecting the dots.” In fact, it’s only upon retrospect that I could detect a slight tone change in the forum, on which he was posting as recently as a few days ago. Truthfully, had this not happened I don’t really know if I would have appreciated the extent of the challenges he had mentioned.

In the occasions that we met up, our conversations were always lively, good natured, engaging and humorous. I learned a great deal from Bruce, both respect to his wisdom regarding a broad range of topics, as well as his kind heart and carrying oneself in the most dignified and compassionate manner. On one occasion we met up for drinks at a South American bar around the holidays just to shoot the breeze. Our waitress seemed to fancy him – no surprise with his knowledge of both foreign culture and language – and I jokingly offered to pick up the tab and give the two of them their space. But I’m glad I picked up the tab anyway, as while Bruce seemed grateful for my time, truthfully it was I that was likely more thankful for what ended up being an awesome conversation about many things intellectual, and other things that were…well…not so much. I simply enjoyed hanging out with a cool dude.

I’m sure I will think of other things as I make sense of this situation, but let this be a reminder of the fragility of life. In reading some of the other comments here, it seems many of us are asking what more we could have done and if we could have helped. I think it reflects well on the compassion that most of us have, but let us all accept that sometimes it’s hard to extend help when others don’t ask for it. We on AnalystForum are a tight community, and should tough situations befall any of us, I hope most people would consider reaching out. Finally, while skeptics might have a different opinion, I personally think that participants on AnalystForum have come a long way insofar as improving the civility of discussion and accepting the views of others (even when we don’t always agree) – something that Bruce was a driving force behind.

God bless and happy new year

Awful news.

I’ve always enjoyed reading his posts on overcoming his early hardships. That’s why I signed up for a salsa / latin ballroom class starting January…

RIP.

EDIT: WTF. I just read Greenman’s link. He was only 48??? All this time I have thought he was closer to 65… Way too young…

Shocked. I’ve been reading Bruce’s posts for years. This is truly terrible.

Thank you Numi for thoughtful response. I echo Numi’s thoughts. If anyone has troubles, or just want to speak, please reach out. I work in midtown NYC, so can easily meet up for lunch

This is shocking. RIP BChad.

wow, completely shocking.

while i never met him, bchad has been the key influence on how i formed opinions on financial theory and economics over the years and the #1 reason i use this forum. while we hadn’t gotten into too many complex topics lately, i still think fondly of the incredibly long debates we would have, which usually ending with just me and him going back and forth, back and forth, as everyone else grew tired of the conversation.

i lost one of my best friends to suicide earlier this year and this news brings up a lot of emotion. my sincerest condolences to those who knew him better.

bchad was the man and will always be king of AF.

What a sad day. Nothing to be said that Numi and others didn’t already say, but wow. I didn’t know him other than from the forum, but I feel like I lost a friend and someone I looked up to. Rest in peace, brother.

Really at a shock and at a lost for words.

He gave so much to this forum and contributed so much to the knowledge of what is likely a generation of financial analysts.

Really hope he understood his presence and the impact he had on people.

EDIT: My condolences to his family and girlfriend. If they ever read this - I hope they know that he contributed so much to the pursuit of knowledge.

RIP, depression can make someone do irrational things… He was well liked by many and made a difference in many people’s lives evident in glowing reviews by his students: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=1106092

Just like all of his posts, I realized half way through his letter I was on a level far below him intellectually and was praying there was a tl;dr summary at the end.

RIP

I can’t find my post so I assume it has been deleted.

I cant express anything much more than what has already been sad but I will say that Bchad had a knowledge of so many different topics and could speak at such a deep level about them that was truly remarkable. I was always astounded at his encyclopedic knowledge. He was a true maven in every sense of the word. And as mentioned before, he always pursued arguments and expressed his thoughts on here with a sense of decency that never resorted into attacking others. If others could follow suit in his ways, the world would be a better place.

I hope he is at peace now and I know he will be terribly missed.

RIP Bruce. I was fortunate enough to meet him once when I was in NYC a couple years ago. Such a sharp and friendly guy to shoot the shit with. The best to his friends and family…