Bear Spread and Collar- The difference

I don’t quite understand the difference between a collar strategy and a bear spread.
Let’s assume I own a stock and I am worried the price will go down and I don’t want to pay too much to get protection.
One way to protect me is to set up a collar- I buy a put option and then sell a call option. My downside is protected and at the end same time if the stock rallies, I can sell the stock since I am short the call. My downside and upside are capped.
If I have a bear spread, am I not doing the same thing since I have both bought and sold a put option, so my upside and downside are capped?

A (long) collar is equivalent to a bull spread; a short collar is equivalent to a bear spread.

The main difference is that the collars start with a position (long and short, respectively) in the underlying, whereas the bull and bear spreads are built exclusively with options.

2 Likes

Please, can you elaborate this?

bear spread sells put (or call) at lower strike and buy put (or call) with higher strike. We use same option but with diff strike.

Collar = same as risk reversal. = Buy call, sell put or sell call, buy put.

You’re missing one important point: the collar also has a position in the underlying.

A long collar is a long position in the underlying, a long put at a lower strike, and a short call at a higher strike.

A short collar is a short position in the underlying, a short put at a lower strike, and a long call at a higher strike.

2 Likes

Thanks

My pleasure.

1 Like