Beasts of No Nation

^ I don’t call myself an analyst and have neither the time nor the inclination to breakdown every award category that no one cares about.

However, looking at just best actor since 2000, there have been 80 actors nominated, including 10 nominations for black actors (12.5% of nominees) and 3 wins (18.75% of winners) for black actors. The nomination percentage is a bit below the percentage of the US population that is black, but the win percentage is well above it. Nominations and winners are not restricted to Americans though, so not sure what the appropriate measuring stick is.

Things haven’t been as good for leading black actresses (4 nominations and 1 win) or supporting actors (6 nominations and 1 win), but black supporting actresses have basically matched lead actors with 9 nominations and 4 wins.

Much more notable though, is the lack of Hispanic nominees and winners, so it really should be the NCLR complaning about the lack of diversity, not the NAACP.

Nice try though. Keep up the race baiting.

^Totally beat you to that. I’m on my A game today.

Nah, I’m still alive; I’m the anti-group think guy around here, that’s why you love me so much.

The Economist looks at only actor nominations but doesn’t look at other nominations (Best Song, Directing, etc). My numbers are for all nominations; it’s very very convienient of isolate data to prove a certain point. There’s actually a term for this; it’s called selection bias.

That even aside; even using the Economists selection, you’re essentially saying the blacks don’t have it that bad; hispanics and asians have it worse. Either way the Academy is under-representing minorities.

FYI…out of the total ~107 nominations (for all catergories, not just actors) this year, there is 1 black nomination for 2015. But accordingly to you it’s not a problem

@Higgmond, ditto to you; read above.

“Keep up the race baiting…” Did you learn this from the Donald Trump rally you attended or did you come up with this yourself?

Trump? Seriously? If you’re going to try to insult me, at least know something about me.

All of this race malarkey aside, the film is fantastic. I watched it a second time last weekend and really enjoyed it again. I really dont care about award shows in general and I think this whole thing is less about “black actors” and more about will smith being upset he didnt get a nod.

I would also have much more sympathy for their arguement if they included other races, but as we always see, individual races only ever care about their own. When they stand up for another race or actor who they feel was shafted I will give them some respect.

@Yayywork, if you actually listened to the various voices (e.g., Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett) it would be clear that they used the term “people of color” to include all minority groups. My data was on blacks because the info is easy to obtain. So again, you’re wrong when you say they don’t stand up for another race. You don’t care about facts/truth; your mind is made up, we can’t have blacks taking our spots.

^ Really? Spike mentions black actors and actresses 7 or 8 times in this interview and doesn’t use the term “people of color” even once, nor does he mention any other racial or ethnic minorities.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/spike-lee-oscarssowhite-oscars-rampling-caine.html#

^Yes, really; read below: “At the Oscars… people of color are always welcomed to give out awards…even entertain But we are rarely recognized for our artistic accomplishments. Should people of color refrain from participating all together? People can only treat us in the way in which we allow. With much respect in the midst of deep disappointment.” -Jada Pinkett, Twitter

http://www.people.com/article/jada-pinkett-smith-considers-oscars-boycott

^ That’s “she”, not “they”.