becoming 'well rounded' for b-school

So I don’t plan to apply to b-school until a year from now. My life is pretty typical of a guy in his mid-20’s work, study for CFA, invest on the side, workout, play in city sports leagues, go out with friends on weekends, etc. I know I need to get involved in a volunteer activity as b-schools like that stuff. Anyone have other advice on what activities a b-school would look favorably on?

i think you should find something you’re passionate about and differentiate yourself that way. it doesn’t seem to help much just tacking on random charitable activities or volunteer work if that’s what you’re asking, because too many people do that. i also think that rather than trying to make an application, think about making a life. when you fast forward 10 years from now, what do you want to remember most about your life, and what are the most meaningful activities that will develop you as a person and as a professional? it’s those types of activities that will be most defining for you, and will also paint the most vivid and engaging portrait of you as you work on your apps. i think that at the end of the day, if you’re not passionate about what you do, you’ll probably have a hard time keeping up with your activities long enough to even make a difference on the b-school app. as for the stuff that you do, probably the most interesting thing would be your playing in city sports leagues, at least as far as b-schools are concerned. i presume that this is an activity that’s exciting and engaging for you. you could talk about how you’ve learned teamwork, leadership, perseverance, and other such qualities that b-schools care about. as for myself, i didn’t pick up too many novel activities once i graduated college. i just continued to develop the hobbies and interests that i had since a young age. i don’t have too many interests outside of work myself, but whatever i do, i try to take it to the highest level possible. i am hoping that as i go through my b-school apps, adcoms will respect the “depth” versus “breadth” aspect of my application.

Agree with Numi, with the caveat that it will be pretty impossible to build a “life” in one year with application deadlines looming. I think being one year out you should focus on getting more bang for your buck from your current employer- take on more projects and initiate some projects on your own, and then follow through with that. Any charitable/non profit work you do should fit with your story and be able to show some aspect of your profile that you otherwise wouldn’t be able to.

I’ve gotten pretty “well-rounded” by doing a lot of squats and lunges.

yeah thanks that makes sense and was kinda what was feeling as well. MBA admissions just seem so mythical I fear applying logic to the process. It’s kind of like dealing with HR during the interview process, they are usually on a totally different wavelength than the people you will be working for.

I know what you mean. I’ve contemplated doing some sort of charity work in order to round out an application down the road. I don’t really want to spend my Saturday’s with old people or troubled youths, but you got to do what you got to do. On a side note and in all seriousness, do you really live in Detroit? I didn’t know there were young white collar professionals there. In any event, the Hawks are going to de-throne the Wings this season in the Central Division.

I also agree with Numi. I’ve never been too active with volunteering. I just don’t get that excited about traveling to the nursing home or helping the homeless (not completely trying to generalize volunteering here). I pretty much focus on the things I like to do and need to do. Work, study for CFA or other coures, workout/MMA, family/friends/girlfriend. After that, there just isn’t much time for anything else. I don’t see much value for someone like me to get involved with a bunch of organizations I don’t really have a passion for nor the appropriate time. Second, I feel like I need to concentrate on me right now. I have a lot of catching up to do in terms of certain academics and work experience. I would like to get involved more when I actually have the clout to do so. This way I can make more of an impact and by this time I hopefully will have all the heavy academics out of the way.

I recently moved to the great city of Cleveland, moving on up, just like the Jeffersons. Wings lost some scoring power in the off-season, we’ll see what happens .

Why is volunteering so highly regarded? It seems like such a boring and unrewarding way to spend one’s free time.

How do you guys feel about volunteering abroad? Do you think admission committees for business schools make the distinction between someone who say, volunteers abroad for a few weeks a year versus someone who volunteers locally (but consistently) at an organization? In the first case, one could argue the desire to be exposed to cultures that are not as fortunate as the developed world. In the second case, however, one could argue about being devoted long-term to some sort of cause and perhaps the desire to help a board implement strategic initiatives as a non-profit and being part of the process. If I were in the position of the admissions committee, I would find the second person’s case much stronger. What do you think?

See, the reason volunteering seems boring and unrewarding to some of you is because you never committed to serious volunteer work. And NO, I do not mean pay money to fly overseas to do half @ssed work for a couple weeks (most of which is wasted on learning curve) when a better solution would be to donate the $$ from the plane ticket to charity so they can hire a better local to do the job (helping both themselves and the local they hired). Really volunteering is getting truly involved with something that takes an extended commitment and isn’t just a fun day handing out candy. I worked with special needs kids in the inner city, many of which had fathers in prison, helping to tutor and serve as a role model for them for two years. Very quickly you see why most people despise college age kids looking to perform self serving charity. They don’t take their job seriously, they do more harm than good and give up when it’s no longer convenient. But if you are dedicated and stay with it and actually commit to working hard and attending every day even when there are conflicts or it isn’t fun, you will be VERY challenged and VERY rewarded. I would leave every day mentally exhausted and collapse on the couch to sleep for 8-10 hours, and the results weren’t immediate because many of the kids are reluctant to trust adults. But when the breakthrough’s occur and you see the kids benefit it makes it all worth it. You will learn many lessons that you can apply to your own life along the way as well, but it takes hard work. People that are selfish or give up only further the gap between those of us who try and the kids we are trying to reach.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > And NO, I do > not mean pay money to fly overseas to do half > @ssed work for a couple weeks (most of which is > wasted on learning curve) when a better solution > would be to donate the $$ from the plane ticket to > charity so they can hire a better local to do the > job (helping both themselves and the local they > hired). Really volunteering is getting truly > involved with something that takes an extended > commitment and isn’t just a fun day handing out > candy. +1. Thanks for your insight and verifying what I believe in.

I played baseball in high school and college. Got hurt and took a red shirt one year so had a ton of time on my hands so I helped out my high school team as a coach. Did not get paid and loved it. That was 2001. I still come back when I have time and do as much as I can on the baseball field . I also help in the classroom tutoring guys on the team and helping with college admissions. I did not do any of this for b school admissions but they use were excited to hear about it when I interviewed and wrote about it in my admissions essay.

what school did u go to goldenboy?

small D1 in texas for undergrad and I got into a few b schools but did not attend. Moved into a new role at work and wanted to give it a shot.