Best book for learning VBA?

Hey Everyone, In a few weeks or so when I start itching for another project, I’ve decided I’m going to learn VBA so that I can start writing macro’s and such in Excel. Can anyone recommend a good basic level book for me to start with? I’m pretty handy with Excel, but know less than nothing when it comes to any computer languages, so keep that in mind. Cheers

I don’t know much about VBA dude, but there is a really good group on yahoo finance called SMF. They publish open source software for extracting financial data from the web such as prices, ratios etc. It would definitely be worth incorporating into your Excel/VBA educational experience. Enjoy the summer!

Hands down, Excel power programming with vba by john walkenbach. Includes cd with some great codes.

my personal advice is not to use a book but rather go on google and download actually codes from people who have written or forums, etc. there should be tons of people who offer codes they have written to do certain things; remake them and understand how they built it. you not only learn the actual coding, but how to code it efficiently and be creative in coding it. the books usually just go by the syntax of learning and now the creative aspect of it. it’s like the quick way of learning.

whystudy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > my personal advice is not to use a book but rather > go on google and download actually codes from > people who have written or forums, etc. there > should be tons of people who offer codes they have > written to do certain things; remake them and > understand how they built it. > > you not only learn the actual coding, but how to > code it efficiently and be creative in coding it. > > the books usually just go by the syntax of > learning and now the creative aspect of it. > > it’s like the quick way of learning. can you recommend any good ones?

dpcfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > whystudy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > my personal advice is not to use a book but > rather > > go on google and download actually codes from > > people who have written or forums, etc. there > > should be tons of people who offer codes they > have > > written to do certain things; remake them and > > understand how they built it. > > > > you not only learn the actual coding, but how > to > > code it efficiently and be creative in coding > it. > > > > the books usually just go by the syntax of > > learning and now the creative aspect of it. > > > > it’s like the quick way of learning. > > > can you recommend any good ones? there are tons, much better than analystforum since many more users of Excel. excelforum.com is a good one, but just google search some. you can learn some really neat stuff. and remember, a lot of times there are already VBA codes written for things you want to do and people offer it for free, why reinvent the wheel.

Cheers guys. I think the key thing is to develop a basic knowledge of coding, then do as you suggest and just read and try to dissect code that others have written. I like that idea.

Best forum is excel forum…

Here’s a good link to get some free VBA training. http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/free-training/ExcelVBA1/excel-vba1-index.htm The power programming book mentioned above is good too. You can always just record a macro and watch as the code is written as you do steps (hit alt+f11 to open the VBA editor) to get a feel for it. I think to do it well you need to have or get a basic understanding of programming, and then learn the details of the Excel Object model.

Thanks for the link and the idea of watching recorded macros. If I can get myself into it I plan on doing the full thing and learning the programming.

Do any sites or books have any info on being able to use VBA with the internet?

Excelforum is the ultimate reference site for all things VBA; 244k threads in the Excel VBA section alone, any questions?