Best Chairs??? (Seems Random right?)

This may seem a little random, but I want to buy a new desk chair that will make studying for the CFA more comfortable. I figure I’m going to spend at least 100 hours in it at home, so I might as well get something decent. Anyone have any stores in NYC or online that they’d recommend or models that they particularly like? ODZ

Considering that I have crappy posture, my chair must be great; I spend a fair chunk of my waking hours in it, and my I never notice my back bothering me. http://www.sit4less.com/aeronchairs/aeron_lumbar.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeron_chair

looks like we have a winner.

Hmmmm…those chairs are very comfortable. Now I have to rationalize spending $1,000 on one. Maybe I’m crazy, but the chairs at the business library on 34th and Madison in NYC have similar chairs downstairs…or maybe they are a cheap knockoff?

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hmmmm…those chairs are very comfortable. Now I > have to rationalize spending $1,000 on one. Maybe > I’m crazy, but the chairs at the business library > on 34th and Madison in NYC have similar chairs > downstairs…or maybe they are a cheap knockoff? Yeah I’d find it extremely hard to justify spending a K on a bloody chair. screw that shit. Get one of those bloody beanbag chairs.

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hmmmm…those chairs are very comfortable. Now I > have to rationalize spending $1,000 on one. Maybe > I’m crazy, but the chairs at the business library > on 34th and Madison in NYC have similar chairs > downstairs…or maybe they are a cheap knockoff? You could always get one off ebay for $400-$600 or so. http://cgi.ebay.com/Herman-Miller-AERON-Chair-Loaded-With-Options-No-Arms_W0QQitemZ170147829995QQihZ007QQcategoryZ25328QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

agreed, a good chair is definitely worth it if it means avoiding back problems for the better part of your life. $500 seems like a very reasonable investment if you are going to spend loads of time sitting in it. in terms of other brands besides Herman Miller (aeron), i can also recommend Haworth and Humanscale as I have had positive experiences with both and you might get better value for your money.

also if you don’t mind a used chair try craigs list, people are trading these things all the time

You need to have a better strategy, one that involves standing and sitting. This is something I investigated when I was studying for the exams. The most efficient way to go is a comfortable chair, and a nice stand-up workstation–alternate every 30min and you will maximize your study time because you will feel less fatigue and stress on your back, etc. Ergomonomics research demostrates the benefits of such an approach. Every trick in the book counts in this game.

agreed 100% with equity_analyst. and actually, sitting is one of the most stressful things you can be doing with your body as you are loading a ton of weight on your lower back. in general it’s not recommended to sit for extended periods of time even though most of us have to unfortunately deal with that in an office environment…but there are things that can be done to make things better

Thanks for the input…I’ll look into the brands mentioned as well as used models. The standing work station idea definitely sounds good, but then I’d also have to buy a new desk and reconfigure. Buying the chair looks to be step one and something that I could get done quickly.

i’ve heard the same thing numi… something about standing and increasing circulation to your brain. i tried to talk a professor into letting us standup for an exam once when i was in college, but he wasnt easily persuaded.

that’s interesting nolabird. it definitely helps at a very minimum to walk around and keep yourself active, whether it is to stimulate cirulation or keep your joints and muscles from atrophying. sitting all the time is never a good thing