Best degree for CFA and future job

Hello Everyone!

I am a high school student, and currently, I am considering a degree in economics versus informatics and econometrics. What do you think - which will be more useful for someone who loves fundamental analysis? (I do not like the quantitative approach to the market.)

I think, as a person who loves reading, economics would be a better choice, but I am not sure about that because nowadays, many people have this bachelor’s degree.

Thank you for your answer.

You can choose economics only if the school you admitted is good enough. Otherwise, informatics and econometrics is preferred.

When you actually look for a job, you’ll find that many analytical positions are more likely to require graduates with math and computer science majors, and certain industry analysis positions will also require graduates with more industry expertise such as chemistry, biology, and medicine.

As you said, economics degrees are already saturated. And the biggest flaw is that there’re always gaps between the theories and the practice due to a lot of what-ifs. It’s not that helpful as informatics and econometrics for your employers in reality.

1 Like

Economics would be better suited to somebody who loves fundamental analysis (macro strategy). That said, for any good job, you will need to have good quality data and math skills so sure be sure to cover econometrics in your studies.

I’m a math graduate and honestly, I think it’s really worth it.
Proof-writing is painful, but if you stick together with your classmates you can make it out :slight_smile: