Best firms for CFA candidates?

Bluey 1.8T Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > my green book always comes out at lunch time… > from 11am - 2pm… every day… > > i figure its way more important than work… and > no ones said anything about it so i guess they > understand (maybe) I tried it ones, It didn’t really work out well for me. I got a mail saying ‘personal work to be done after office hrs’ - wtf!!!

Dinesh, what will be your ideal dept when you’re done? or at least will you rather be now? I am writing codes too and clear cut decision has eluded me.

I’m at National Securities. Got fully refunded for the program (by branch manager) and got a month off as well (well almost a month, spent the first week doing the Series 7). What’s more, they gave me next week off too to rest and recover, before doing the Series 63 in late Dec. Have to go into the office occasionally though, just to make sure all ends are tied up and nothing has fallen apart. Coming to think of it, not sure why I was puching for a place at ML or GS.

For a lot of firms it depends on the group/department you are in. If a group does not think it’s important to have the cfa for the job they do, they probably will not pay for it (unless they’re nice and stupid). I have yet to hear of a firm paying for your exams when you don’t pass though…

I think its a matter of how they perceive the program. Previous job couldn’t care less if I did the CFA or GMAT.

webtwister1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dinesh, what will be your ideal dept when you’re > done? or at least will you rather be now? I am > writing codes too and clear cut decision has > eluded me. Just one derire … ‘Derivatives Trading’. Those Swaptions, Forward Options and Synthetics are so very fantasizing. (I know I am yet again on the wrong path with CFA)

work for a mortgage bank, was promised 100% reimbursement if I pass, but now all bets are off…kidding aside, it makes a big difference what your command line thinks, 4 levels above me (all the way to the CFO) are charterholders. I was promoted last year and was told that next stage will come only when I have some progress towards the charter (thats why I am here, I was pretty happy with my finance mba). Because of this, I have some leeway. I haven’t been able to transform that into anything concrete yet, have only the friday off.

I work for a Silicon Valley tech firm developing software. My goal is to get into one of those Quant fund and develop trading algorithms. But my timing is probably not good when all these banks are laying off people. But I am having too much fun studying finance now and I have made up my mind to get into finance. I might try to get a MFE degree somewhere. CFA level 1 should help to improve my chances.

I just read this and puked

lawl i used to work with Stifel Nicolaus doing equity research / investment consulting. want to get into the bulge brackets in equity research or a fund of fund. thats why i need this charter so badly…

I work for Turbine, an online computer game company, doing software engineering. Had to pay for the whole thing since clearly finance has absolutely nothing to do with my current job haha.

prossetti Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I work for Turbine, an online computer game > company, doing software engineering. Had to pay > for the whole thing since clearly finance has > absolutely nothing to do with my current job haha. I am in th same boat as u are.

I heard that the Actuary companies give staff 15 days off to study… I, like many, have substituted my holiday to Portugal/Morocco/anywhere warm, for learning how to do calculate deferred tax liabs… great trade-off lol

i hear your pain hankuna lol what is a good actuary company? i dont know any