Best Route for an accounting student

@Ramos4rm

The place I study doesnt have finance,also I cant for some reason change the place I study

looks like its time to borrow a hacksaw and go to work

@igor 555 dude pass me one of those saws where two people are involved i dont even know the name

Je ne sais pas.

Who cares what your undergrad is, there are so many accountants that are now working in finance.

There are even history and philosphy majors workling in finance.

I did. He’s too young to know what he wants and what he doesn’t want.

Especially when he doesn’t use apostrophes.

I’m sure the controller at Google dramatically outearns a typical “Financial Manager” at the local credit union. What you earn in life is more a product of your business sense/acumen and effort than what courses you select in school or even what career path you select. I see too much of the attitude here that “if only I had the CFA charter, I could make these big dollars.” The reality is most of the big dollar earning Charterholder would be making big dollars as engineers or accountants or even garbagemen if they were in that line. The skills needed to really make that jump to the next level are not taught in a class or a program. You have it, or you don’t. I bet if Itera decided to be an accountant at 20 rather than be a BSD asset manager, he’d probably be making a mil a year as a partner at Deloitte or something. The chief field operations garbage man for Waste Management has a base salary of $515,000 and owns approximately $2M in Waste Management stock according to their proxy statement. The best in their field earn good coin. What many here propose is that they’ll be the best in the ultra competitive finance field when they haven’t demonstrated that ability at any point in their life. They will almost certainly fail. Now if you love finance that’s another story. But if that’s your honest motivation, then you should be satisfied with lower salary at some hacksaw firm as long as you’re doing fun stuff. However I find most people with a passion for finance really just want to make big dollars and when that dream disappears, so does the “passion.”

^ alrite then… but with that logic , it just means you have given up your criticizing abiliity when I suggest people to try plumbing.

^ I started the plumbing suggestion, damnit! You’ve got me confused with someone else. I’m not saying finance is a bad field, but rather people should do something they enjoy and do it well, rather than look at a salary survey and then decide that is their desired path. There are plenty of schmucks wandering the halls of AF after they’ve passed the exams and did the entry level grunt wondering when this promised payday will arrive, because that’s all they ever were in it for.

@geo point taken.I know What I dont want to be ,but I dont know what I WANT TO BE.I want to move up the corporate ladder.Than I know,If I could make 300K in corporate world vs 500K As a grocery store owner or even an adult film actor I would still choose the 300K .The suit and office is far more attractive to me than the paycheck ,however I dont know if the way is finance.I still have to finish my undergrad in accounting though

im a free born man of the USA!