Best route to a Finance career for a 40 year old career changer

…with a B.A. in History and a Master’s in Criminal Justice. I’m looking into: a Finance MBA from Baruch (NYC) or SUNY Stonybrook, both have reasonable tuition. Or, a “certificate” in Finance from Baruch ($2500 only) and then study for the CFA on my own, pass Level I and then apply for a finance job. Any other suggestions? Should I just apply and see where I get in? Would it be difficult for someone without a finance background at all? btw, my GPA was 3.5/3.6 for undergrad/grad. 20 years military experience.

I think it depends on your military experience. But I think your finance career is likely to be sales oriented and not especially fulfilling. 20 years military and a masters in criminal justice says “law enforcement” all over it to me.

Did you do anything finance related in the military? What year did you get your degrees?

I did nothing related to finance in the military. I did pass the EA exam several years back and I was doing financial planning on the side. I’m an officer (Lieutenant Colonel) so I don’t know if that counts for anything. My “full-time” job in the military involved conducting criminal investigations. I received my B.A. in 1988 and my M.A. in 1996.

maybe joining Blackwater would be a better choice??

Interesting thread… what is “career fulfillment” in the financial world? making $ influencing decisions, the bigger the better lunch/golf with CEOs ------------ FWIW, I’m 38 and am less qualified than you. You got me beat.

How about compliance stuff? For example, I can definitely see a compliance officer at a hedge fund having that kind of background, especially if you felt like adding on a law degree (and, yes, I know that’s a pain). Of course, working in compliance for SEC and similar would probably work. It’s a foot in the finance door…

How about something to do with AML? I’m sure there’s a lot of different roles you can find with that. Here in canada there’s something called FINTRAC (Financial Transaction Reporting Analysis Centre of Canada which tracks anti money laundering/terrorist financing etc. I’m sure there’s a similar org. in the US.

Our Chief Compliance Officer is an ex-Navy Seal. He does a great job.

just do either MBA dude. I’m sure you had interesting experiences during your yrs in the military

I took level 1 at 39. Along the way I also became a CPA. You can do a variety of work as a CPA. Far more rewarding than cold calling and pushing munis for some big broker.

I took level 1 at 39. Along the way I also became a CPA. You can do a variety of work as a CPA. Far more rewarding than cold calling and pushing munis for some big broker.

http://www.jobs4point0.com/ is for people above 40. but i do not think they are entry level.