Best way to master ethics?

For those who do very well on ethics…what is the best way to study this. I did hundreds of Stalla questions on ethics and still got 50-70% range (passed L1 despite this). I’m thinking of starting L2 prep early to memorize ethics stuff straight from the CFA material and not use Stalla for ethics. Anyone have any “secret sauce” on ethics?

Ethics comes extremely easy for me but regardless I used CFAI text as my primary means of study for that section. Schweser was good for some quick review but Ethics is one the area I think the CFAI is worth the read (at least for L1). As for learning the stuff, I think a lot of it is very intuitive. For situations that are not so intuitive it is imperative that you know the rule and its application precisely. It’s a mental checklist: Are they really doing something wrong? if yes, what rule covers it? What does the rule say and how does it apply to this situation? Law school dropouts like myself know this as IRAC (issue, rule, application, conclusion).

Ethics was easy at L1. Ethics is hard at L2. Trust me.

Tuesdays with Bernie

As in Bernie Madoff lol? I guess I’ll actually read the CFA books this time around. I relied on Stalla for like 98% of my studying and got burned a little on quant and ethics but I don’t think I was in danger of failing. I don’t think I can risk it for L2.

I think doing all the ethics questions you can find and then reading the answers right or wrong will help you massively in developing “ethics intuition.” It won’t be straight forward. It was the only section I would consistently get over 70-80% on pre-exam but the actual exam was ugly so one can only hope…sighh Get good at underlining key information or violations while reading the stem set, this will help you find the paragraph fast when you go back to verify info with each question asked.

HighestLearning Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ethics comes extremely easy for me but regardless > I used CFAI text as my primary means of study for > that section. Schweser was good for some quick > review but Ethics is one the area I think the CFAI > is worth the read (at least for L1). As for > learning the stuff, I think a lot of it is very > intuitive. For situations that are not so > intuitive it is imperative that you know the rule > and its application precisely. It’s a mental > checklist: Are they really doing something wrong? > if yes, what rule covers it? What does the rule > say and how does it apply to this situation? Law > school dropouts like myself know this as IRAC > (issue, rule, application, conclusion). Very similar to how I feel. I find ethics comes very easily to me and I credit that to the numerous law classes I took in undergrad. Contitutional Law in particular really teaches one how to understand the law and go through various mental tests to determine if there is a violation and more importantly, what specific action in the whole chain of events caused the line to be crossed. Wish I had some advice on how to get there or even a book to read… maybe read some law blogs?? Sorry, that’s all I got!

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ethics was easy at L1. Ethics is hard at L2. Trust > me. Seriously. The worst thing about it is that I have no idea how I did for L2. I just know that it was vague and I went with what I went with and hope I deduced correctly.

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > topher Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Ethics was easy at L1. Ethics is hard at L2. > Trust > > me. > > Seriously. The worst thing about it is that I have > no idea how I did for L2. I just know that it was > vague and I went with what I went with and hope I > deduced correctly. +1. They really didn’t add a lot of information. It was how it was tested that really sucked.

Listen to mom

mossy695 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Tuesdays with Bernie dude, its Weekend at Bernie’s, not Tuesdays! :slight_smile:

stand as far away from me as possible

Cheat. I should know… this is coming from a Chartered Financial Analyst Level 1