Best Workstation Chair

So I’m looking to replace my home workstation chair of over 10 years and need your input:

Must haves:

• Great ergonomics. I’m 6’3’ and already suffer from some minor back problems
  • Comfort. I work in sales so I work from home a lot when I’m not on the road. Add that to CFA studying, gaming, and general life use
  • Max price of $1000

Unsurprisngly the Herman Miller Aeron is at the top of my list as I have used it in the past and it was fantastic. Let me know any other chairs you would recommend.

No ideas here, sorry. I’m hoping to get my work chair and desk upgraded this year so hoping someone will come along with some knowlege.

Thinking of a stand-up desk as a possibility i.e. a desk that can be raised and lowered to allow you to alternate between sitting and standing during the day. The advantages are that standing burns calories and is better for your back. Anyone have one of these?

I tried to use a stand up desk for a while at home. Ultimately, it just increased fatigue, especially in my feet, and decreased my concentration. The benefits of standing to your back can probably be replicated by just sitting with good posture. Any remaining physical benefits could probably be had with a few more minutes of exercise each week.

Also interested as I will be in the market soon.

Whatever the POS thing is that I’m sitting on, don’t buy that. It slowly descends to about 12 inches off the ground every 30 minutes or so, and no longer possesses the ability to adjust the tilt angle. I should really consider getting something decent, but I’m cheap and we’re getting a brand new building with some pretty nice furniture within the calendar year, so I’m holding off for now.

I found a used Herman Mirra Chair for $280 on Craigslist, fully decked out (I think the new ones are around $900 USD). I’ve been happy with it, except for the fac that the lumbar support moves around between sits more than I’d like (but a bit of scotch tape fixed that and saved me $500.

When I was researching, Numi recommended the Steelcase Leap chair, which has lots of great reviews over the net as well. I didn’t get to try it, but I would if the opportunity arose.

Some years ago I had a standing desk (Ikea’s JERKER model) with a drafting chair so I could sit after a few hours. That setup worked well for me. I can’t stand all day at a standing desk, but I do thing standing a few hours a day is probably good.

Whatever you do, just don’t get the kind of chair that can explode into your rectum.

http://www.anorak.co.uk/202541/strange-but-true/boy-killed-by-anal-penetrating-chair.html/

I’ve found that a stand up desk is one of those things you try and then are staggered by how you went so long without using one.

Yes, when I moved last, it was not practical to dismount my standing desk (the Ikea one) and take it to the new smaller place, so I sold it to one of the movers cheaply. I find myself missing that desk, and I see that one can still find a few on Craigslist if one looks.

However, now that I’ve bought the relatively pricey Mirra chair, it seems silly to have a fixed standing desk and then use the cheap drafting chair again when it’s time to sit again. So now I’m looking at adjustable stand/sit desks so that when I sit I can use my extra comfortable chair.

Adjustable desks are expensive though. Inexpensive ones tend to run around $500-$600 and they can go up to $2000 or even more for expensive models. A used Ikea Jerker desk costs from $50-150 but is not adjustable.

I have also read that having a gel comfort pad for standing helps a lot by distributing weight across your foot. Also not locking your knees while standing is good. Posture while standing for long periods of time is pretty important.

Research shows that exercise doesn’t counteract sitting for long periods of time. They haven’t studied all forms of exercise, but they’ve studied the common level of cardio people do.

My guess is that the compression of arteries and veins and other organs from prolonged sitting is what makes the sitting effect separate from the amount of exercise you get. So it’s not just that lazy people sit a lot and have lazy-people health type problems. If you sit a lot, you compress your innards in specific ways that even exercise can’t undo very well.

For those of you who use standing desks, how long can you stand before you get sore?

When I had a standing desk, my pattern would tend to be to stand for 30-45 minutes, then sit in the drafting chair for 15-20, then walk around for a few minutes, then repeat. Later in the day I might sit for longer periods.

It also depended on what I was doing. If I were reading a book or something on paper for any length of time, it generally felt more natural to sit (though an angled bookrest might change that). Also if I was eating something, sitting felt more natural, probably because you had more leverage while sitting if using a knife and fork. If I were drinking something, standing and sitting felt equally natural.

On the other hand, if I were primarily looking at a computer screen, standing felt more natural more of the time.

Anybody here have a mesh chair? I’ve never sat in one, but it seems that they would be better if you live an area with a long or hot summer (like West Texas). Might not be so good if you have a long cold winter, though.

The answer: how much of a man are you?

I have a Haworth Zody chair. It’s awesome. Good thing I didn’t have to pay for it. Yes, mesh, for Greenman.

I believe it fits your must-haves and is within your budget Kan-yeezy.

Thanks for the input boys. After some preliminary research, a few names are starting to stand out and overlap with some that were mentioned here. For those like bromion who are also in the market, check these out:

Herman Miller Aeron, Herman Miller Mirra 2, Steelcase Leap, Humanscale Freedom w/ headrest, Haworth Zody

I’m going to try them out and pick up one of them.

which chairs are good for dem hemmorohids

Thanks dude, will do.