Big 4 Corp Finance

Hi everyone, My question is really general and vague but any insight would be greatly appreciated. What are some of the main functions/services the corporate finance group of a big 4 accounting firm would provide?

valuations, transaction service - due diligence etc, m&a, reorganisation service. And different firms have some otehr different things

Not exactly. Big Four Corporate Finance shops are essentially mid market M&A advisors with a strong focus on sell side (divestitures of mid size companies and/or divisions of larger pubcos) and capital raising. Obviously they don’t have underwriting capabilities but they do almost everything else the banks do as a lead financial advisor. Not sure you need to ask the question on here, as there is a lot of information available on the web. KPMG Corporate Finance: http://www.kpmgcorporatefinance.com/home/ PwC Corp Finance: http://www.pwc.com/gx/en/corporate-finance-services/index.jhtml E&Y: http://www.ey.com/CA/en/Services/Transactions/Transaction-Planning-and-Management/M-A What the person below is referring to is NOT Corporate Finance. Due Diligence (TS), Valuations, and Restructuring are completely separate practices within the Big Four. Though Restructuring and Corporate Finance have worked more closely together during the Great Recesssion on distressed asset sales and liquidation sales. soppisoppi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > valuations, transaction service - due diligence > etc, m&a, reorganisation service. > > And different firms have some otehr different > things

I can tell you they all come under the banner of corporate finance at some of the big 4’s

Well, at my Big4, corporate finance is divided into M&A and Valuation. In some big offices they also have debt advisory. But Due Diligence is TS. And Restructuring is Restructuring. But in my Big4 there is a super clear separation between TS and CF, whereas in some others the two are more overlapping.

Exactly, its different at different big 4’s. If you are interested in any particular one over the other you just need to investigate this. An interesting quesiton is, does restructuring or valuations normally hire graduates, or is it something to lateral into? As I work for a big 4, in transfer pricing, and maybe, although I do really like my current job, might be interested into lateralling into one of these areas.

Thanks everyone for all the responses, I will check out the links you guys posted for more info

soppisoppi : i believe they usually hire graduates or people with boutique / prior advisory experience. Lateral moves are not soooo frequent at my big4, except from audit into advisory. In any case you have to have good performance, rank high. From what I have seen, your department will usually not do sh!t for you if you want to transfer. You’re better off getting directly to your department of interest.

Yep, sounds about right viceroy. Maybe letaralling into a different big4 or a boutique advisory is the way