Bionic Turtle vs. Christian Cooper (Wiley)

Hi All,

I’m taking Level 1 of the FRM in May 2016.

For test prep providers, I’ve eliminated Schweser from consideration. Now, I’m debating between Bionic Turtle and Christian Cooper (Wiley).

Wiley indicates that the material would be available by “end of January”. I checked the website a few minutes ago and the materials are still unavailable for order (minimally, the e-books should be available – even given the weather-related delays that Wiley’s customer service is claiming).

People seem to really like Bionic Turtle. Has anyone actually used the Christian Cooper materials? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

As many as possible (reference material) you can have its better. Go with those which makes you understand the concept better. I personally started believing thr are no “V/s” if you are comparing in same domain. GARP finally tests the concepts instead of your mathematically abilities.

I have seen many online forums where people registering thr passing by reading Schweser alone and some failing failing too. Same in case of BT. I don’t have much idea on Christian but believe me the reponse will be the same.

Go with your heart, select those material only which helps you to understand the concept in much better way.

With just 3 months left and if you haven’t started any serious studying, just do Schweser. You’ll be hard pressed to really understand BT in 3 months (assuming you start from baseline knowledge of next to nothing), and Wiley timeline is up in the air. I passed Part 1 in November with 1/1/1/1 score, and I would say really knowing 80% of Schweser should be enough to comfortably pass, as I did. I don’t understand the anomosity toward Schweser. It is a lot less challenging than BT, but so was the official November Part 1 exam. If you trust that the November exam might be representative of future exams (no reason not to trust the difficulty of an official exam), then Schweser should more than suffice. BT is something I’d recommend only if you have a baseline knowledge of Schweser material. FRM testtakers seem to divide into 2 camps: those who know material and those who don’t. I would speculate that those who complain about exam difficulty probably didn’t even know the 80% of Schweser material, as that in itself takes a fair bit of effort.

I kind of agree with Macro here guys. I’ve just started reading from Schweser and it’s a much easier read than the GARP books. I’m still hoping to get Wiley’s ebook when it comes out but there may be no need if Schweser suffices. Afterall folk have been passing the FRM with Schweser, Garp and BT before Wiley came out.

I kind of agree with Macro here guys. I’ve just started reading from Schweser and it’s a much easier read than the GARP books. I’m still hoping to get Wiley’s ebook when it comes out but there may be no need if Schweser suffices. Afterall folk have been passing the FRM with Schweser, Garp and BT before Wiley came out.

With just 3 months left and if you haven’t started any serious studying, just do Schweser. You’ll be hard pressed to really understand BT in 3 months (assuming you start from baseline knowledge of next to nothing), and Wiley timeline is up in the air. I passed Part 1 in November with 1/1/1/1 score, and I would say really knowing 80% of Schweser should be enough to comfortably pass, as I did. I don’t understand the anomosity toward Schweser. It is a lot less challenging than BT, but so was the official November Part 1 exam. If you trust that the November exam might be representative of future exams (no reason not to trust the difficulty of an official exam), then Schweser should more than suffice. BT is something I’d recommend only if you have a baseline knowledge of Schweser material. FRM testtakers seem to divide into 2 camps: those who know material and those who don’t. I would speculate that those who complain about exam difficulty probably didn’t even know the 80% of Schweser material, as that in itself takes a fair bit of effort.

I Totally agree with you Macro! Felt the same

Hi guys,

question on Bionic Turtle. I ve seen posts in this forum talking about >1000 questions available on BT. I´ve just ordered the basic BT package, so have access now to the question sets and the review quizzes. However, at a first glance, the total amount of questions seems to be way less then 1000. Am I missing an additional source of questions?

Chendo

Each chapter review contains a PDF with practice questions - there are about 35 chapter reviews, 4 overall topic reviews and then around 6 or so mock exams.(although the mocks only have around 25 quesions).

Looking at the Stock & Watson chapter practice question PDF - it alone cover 86 pages - with about 3-4 questions per page meaning over 250 questions for that one chapter alone (out of a total of 35). Granted, it is probably the biggest out of all of them, but there are a few other chapters which have large practice question PDFs too.

I think you’ll find that if you were to add them all up, it would be well over 1000 easy.