Blockbuster decimated by bankruptcy rumor

ouch

WOOOOOOOOOOOW. DIDNT SEE THAT ONE COMING!

Looks like it was a false alarm anyway. Probably just delaying the inevitable though…

king_kong Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > WOOOOOOOOOOOW. DIDNT SEE THAT ONE COMING! Really? I thought this would have happened a year ago. Netflix for the win.

and red box. why rent a movie from blockbuster for $5 when you can for $1 at the grocery store (no special trips)? or download from cable company and watch without having to leave the house… blockbuster is done, been done.

Really? I thought the caps would be a dead giveaway for the sarcasm. Had them shorted at $7 at the beginning of 2007.

Yeah, it’s strange how the idea of going to a video store to rent a movie just seems absurd to me now, whereas a few years ago I was a regular at Hollywood Video.

So who actually shorted the company? The business model was crap, everyone knew that. Who actually had the balls?

you need the same balls to short C, BAC, GM, F, GE, USA, etc… Redbox kinda sucks tho, it doesn’t have good selections.

After hours are up 59%… ancientmtk, I tend to disagree with you if you are talking about having gone short in the long-term. This is no detailed analysis, but first of all, the business model doesn’t function anymore with all of the substitutes. That much was obvious, right? Secondly, the company doesn’t have a strong balance sheet. Thirdly, ROE has been pretty poor for a long time. The company has been in decline since the middle of 2003. I don’t think you can compare this to Citigroup or any other company involved with the government bailouts.

ancientmtk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Redbox kinda sucks tho, it doesn’t have good > selections. Convenience & affordability. If it’s a Sunday night and I’ve done my grocery shopping and I walk past a redbox why not pay $1 for a movie?

brianr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ancientmtk Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Redbox kinda sucks tho, it doesn’t have good > > selections. > > Convenience & affordability. > > If it’s a Sunday night and I’ve done my grocery > shopping and I walk past a redbox why not pay $1 > for a movie? Agreed. Also, I hate giving Comcast $4.99 for a movie.

i agree redbox is awesome. I just don’t like their selections very much. I was looking for Narnia 2 and i somehow got a british version.

I think that for the stoner crowd the video store thing still has legs, but it’ll be the independants owned and operated by - who else - other stoners, or Asian immigrants who refer to the stoners as “As-a-hole”. Gives the stoners a reason to load up on chips and other stoner fair. Says a lot about the state of the economy: stoners were here before the bull market and after. Willy

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think that for the stoner crowd the video store > thing still has legs, but it’ll be the > independants owned and operated by - who else - > other stoners, or Asian immigrants who refer to > the stoners as “As-a-hole”. Gives the stoners a > reason to load up on chips and other stoner fair. > Says a lot about the state of the economy: stoners > were here before the bull market and after. > > Willy Absolutely priceless. LOL.