Bloomberg Better Financial Journalism Than CNBC?

With all this bad press for CNBC after Stewart, was curious of opinions out there on whether you regard Bloomberg TV as a more “serious” medium for financial journalism. I do not watch much Bloomberg other than occasional Sunday nights. However, my assumption is that they are less focused on presenting shows like “Mad Money” and “Fast Money”, and more focused on “boring” financial news…Maybe they will pick up market share after this…

Bloomberg rocks in my book…

I like bloomberg because they stick to the news whereas CNBC sensationalizes the news.

Bloomberg is like BBC news, boring but rich in quality. CNBC is like CNN in 90s, fast, attractive and provides no long lasting value.

cfa_mba Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bloomberg is like BBC news, boring but rich in > quality. > CNBC is like CNN in 90s, fast, attractive and > provides no long lasting value. I couldn’t have said it better. Bloomberg & BBC news cover such a wide breadth of content, and I don’t feel like i’m inside a constant sales pitch. Whenever I watch CNBC I feel like at any moment the analyst is going to break out into some informational and try to sell me some magic blender or something,

Sometimes the ridiculous voice-over promos, focus on pretty faces, etc of CNBC can be a little too much too take seriously. It is sort of like watching Entertainment Tonight as a news source. However, I do think they are not as bad as Stewart made it out to be. If you watch the interview, at the end, he was pissed off that his mom lost some retirement money. I bet she watched CNBC, was loyal to a buy/hold strategy, and Stewart was taking out all that frustration on just a small piece of the problem. I hope CNBC sends some of its actual journalists to defend themselves…

I feel like Bloomberg brings in a better range of analysts and PM’s then CNBC…Bloomberg has Faber in all the time, who is awesome!

Bloomberg is def better, but I don’t get how CNBC was supposed to protect the public from parket losses.

is bloomberg tv free or is there a fee?

Comcast has it on a premium tier. I don’t have it, so I’m stuck with CNBC. Strangely enough, the E! Network shows Bloomberg for a couple hours a day early in the morning. Some big advantages of bloomberg: Quality of commentators: CNBC is mostly host/personality driven. Bloomberg has way more industry heavyweights: top ER guys, chief economists and fund managers. Superior production: CNBC uses shlocky sets and spike lee camera angles. Bloomberg presents the news in a more sober, dignified manner. Disadvantages: COmmercialsL It seems like Bloomberg has more commercials.

I like Bloomberg better too. More quality news + better global coverage. But CNBC seem to have better analysis of trading sometimes with anchors on the floor who query traders etc. WHat i dont like specifically about CNBC is how overbearing personalities of some of the anchors like Steve Leesman and Rick Santelli sensationalize the news. Anyone see Erin Burnette on Bill Mahr getting schooled about China by the Princeton Professor? That was funny…

1moreQ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I like Bloomberg better too. More quality news + > better global coverage. But CNBC seem to have > better analysis of trading sometimes with anchors > on the floor who query traders etc. WHat i dont > like specifically about CNBC is how overbearing > personalities of some of the anchors like Steve > Leesman and Rick Santelli sensationalize the > news. > > Anyone see Erin Burnette on Bill Mahr getting > schooled about China by the Princeton Professor? > That was funny… you have a link? i’ll send you this as a thank you in advance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMFPpdYCtoM&feature=related

The news anchors on financial news networks ask dumb questions as they’re not allowed to ask ‘difficult’ questions because teachers with pensions in Ohio will call into the network and complain. “So where do you see equity markets in six month?” “We hit a bottom last week, what do you think will happen tomorrow?” “The fed has been injecting money into the system, how does this affect inflation?” “Commodity prices are low, what do you think China and India has to do with this?” I want to hear questions like, “Company X has 0.43 current ratio, how do you think management will make its increasing accounts payable obligations?” “What will company Y do to hurt competitors?” “Do you think these deferred tax assets should have a valuation allowance, does the company have poor earnings quality?” I’d also like to see less flashes on the screen and less updates on the NASDAQ. I’d also like to see younger girls hosting the shows

For straight news, I like Bloomberg’s format better, but as far as investment analysis, they are both the same mumbo jumbo that’s sputtered out everywhere. It’s alright if you don’t take it to seriously.

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The news anchors on financial news networks ask > dumb questions as they’re not allowed to ask > ‘difficult’ questions because teachers with > pensions in Ohio will call into the network and > complain. > > “So where do you see equity markets in six > month?” > “We hit a bottom last week, what do you think will > happen tomorrow?” > “The fed has been injecting money into the system, > how does this affect inflation?” > “Commodity prices are low, what do you think China > and India has to do with this?” > > I want to hear questions like, > > “Company X has 0.43 current ratio, how do you > think management will make its increasing accounts > payable obligations?” > “What will company Y do to hurt competitors?” > “Do you think these deferred tax assets should > have a valuation allowance, does the company have > poor earnings quality?” > > I’d also like to see less flashes on the screen > and less updates on the NASDAQ. I’d also like to > see younger girls hosting the shows Totally agree with this. I am so sick of hearing… are we at a bottom yet? Its so freakin annoying. And ya the teachers pension thing… wish they could ask the difficult questions.

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TheAliMan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > The news anchors on financial news networks ask > > dumb questions as they’re not allowed to ask > > ‘difficult’ questions because teachers with > > pensions in Ohio will call into the network and > > complain. > > > > “So where do you see equity markets in six > > month?” > > “We hit a bottom last week, what do you think > will > > happen tomorrow?” > > “The fed has been injecting money into the > system, > > how does this affect inflation?” > > “Commodity prices are low, what do you think > China > > and India has to do with this?” > > > > I want to hear questions like, > > > > “Company X has 0.43 current ratio, how do you > > think management will make its increasing > accounts > > payable obligations?” > > “What will company Y do to hurt competitors?” > > “Do you think these deferred tax assets should > > have a valuation allowance, does the company > have > > poor earnings quality?” > > > > I’d also like to see less flashes on the screen > > and less updates on the NASDAQ. I’d also like > to > > see younger girls hosting the shows > > > Totally agree with this. I am so sick of > hearing… are we at a bottom yet? Its so freakin > annoying. And ya the teachers pension thing… > wish they could ask the difficult questions. Agree with this completely, but its all about the ratings.