Bloomberg Question

HI guys,

I Was wondering why on Bloomberg when you search for bonds say JB, or JVA they are listed with a CMDTY next to it? I presume this is referenced to commodity in some way? Every main contract seems to fall under the CMDTY ticker, yet when you do a security description this is just shown simply as the correct futures contract. Does anyone know why CMDTY is put at the end? I was looking at JVA.

Thanks

I think you must be confusing bond related futures contracts with the underlying bonds.

Corp – all corporate bonds

Govt – all individual government bonds (not to be confused with the treasury/government bond yield functions like USGG30YR Index [GO] which use on-the-run issuances to calculate YTM at various points on the curve).

Mtge / Muni / M-Mkt – all could be used with specific bonds too (personally I have limited experience with these securities in BB)

JBA Comdty [GO] – is simply a futures contract on Japenese gov’t bonds and not the underlying bonds

JVA Comdty [GO] – is obviously a not a bond, just a futures contract on some specific gasoline mix

If you do… LYB US Corp [GO] for instance you’ll see the listing of all outstanding bonds for LYB with individual issuances using the “Corp” security label as well to pull them up in Bloomberg via a panel, monitor, or Excel API function.

For instance…

LYB 5 04/15/19 Corp [GO] loads specific 5% coupon notes that mature on said date

Thanks - I understand it is just a referencing systems and that hte bond has nothing to do with the commodity. I was just curious as to why they would put COMDTY after a bond future for referencing and not give its own bond referencing system.

Sorry please ignore JVA in my original comment that is actually a commodity. But more reference to any bond that has a COMDTY label next to it

Sorry please ignore JVA in my original comment that is actually a commodity. But more reference to any bond that has a COMDTY label next to it

Sorry please ignore JVA in my original comment that is actually a commodity and a mistake when I wrote it. The question was more in reference to any bond that has a COMDTY label next to it and why that is the case

Don’t worry case resolved.

Thanks,

Rex

Colleague was looking for the German 10-year bond yield ticker so I immediately proceeded with typing GTDEM10, which landed on GTDEM10Y Corp.

“Ass”-tute observer of a colleague asked why I was pulling up a “Corp” series.

My answer was along the lines of : “that’s just what it is man” indecision