Bloomberg Training Classes

Have any of you attended the free training classes offered by Bloomberg? If so, did you get anything out of the classes? Are they worth the time for someone with limited experience with the Bloomberg? Thanks.

If you job requires you to use bloomberg, yes they are great. I have attended many over the years and found new useful screens.

If you have limited experience definitely, they will show you the basics like downloading data to excel etc. There is also a bit more advanced courses for traders etc. So just pick the class that is applicable to what you need to learn. You also get a handy sheet with the BB shortcuts… Hope that helps!

You also don’t have to go to Bloomberg to do them, you can go to CERT and watch the presentations (or get the shortcuts) without going to the office. The benefit of going there is free coke and chips, but I don’t really have time for it. Also, if you’re already familiar with it and just need the certificate, you can skip to the end of the videos and get the password for the tests.

Thanks for the advice. I use Bloomberg for pricing etc in my current role, but I’m looking to get into Fixed Income asset mgmt in the future so furthering my Bloomberg skills is a must. I’m taking a couple of the classes in Chicago tomorrow. @jmh530, Do they have a good variety of training videos on CERT? Is there any cost (besides time) associated with obtaining the certificate? Thanks.

I think if you use CERT its free, part of the $10K a mo. your firm pays. You can also check out BU . And in terms of the courses, there is a list of 4 buckets, I think. Core courses, fixed income, equities, and other. You have to finish the core and then the list of either fixed income and or equities to get the cert. If my memory serves me correctly, they have videos for each class in the cert program and more. I used to go to the sessions and do work while getting free food. When I was done pulling stuff, I would email it to myself at work. Or sometimes, I would just chat with the people at the help desk to try to figure out how to get data or different screen that I needed. Unfortunatly, they now block external emails and the help desk at the training sessions. So I usually look up people;s bios, pics, and restraunts (zagat).

Are their training classes free to someone w/o a firm affiliation? I have a friend just out of college who is looking to take a Bloomberg certification class to get an edge on the job market competition.

gaffano Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are their training classes free to someone w/o a > firm affiliation? I have a friend just out of > college who is looking to take a Bloomberg > certification class to get an edge on the job > market competition. No. Training events are for people employed by firms already using Bloomberg .

Yea that certification is nothing special imo. Pretty easy to obtain, not sure how much edge that would give you…

it fills the blank spaces on your resume