Bold Cover Letter Battle

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kid-sends-perfectly-blunt-cover-letter-for-wall-street-internship--and-now-tons-of-people-are-trying-to-hire-him-151518002.html

Sometimes we get forwarded applications for summer internships on Wall Street that are extremely embarrassing because the applicant is totally full of themselves or completely clueless. What happens is the letters go viral and the Street passes them around in long email chains blasting the applicant. They’re always funny, but a little bit sad. That’s exactly what we thought was going to happen today when we received this one in our inbox. It turns that the cover letter originally sent to a boutique investment bank is exactly the opposite. The cover letter below is unapologetically honest and people on Wall Street are calling it one of the best letters they have seen. Everyone on the thread agrees the letter shows energy and pluck and honesty.

Yeah, I read it and thought it was hilarious.

Pumping up your background/education/credentials is the elephant in the room. I’m glad somebody could be honest about what they have. I just wish that we could see some of the personal details. Not his name, just where he went to school, etc. Might shed some light on that “top-10 vs. top-50 vs. not-so-good MBA’s” battle that iteracom and I have been having.

I’m getting “Page not found”.

Can you repost a different link possibly CFAvsMBA?

I think this is the link: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kid-sends-perfectly-blunt-cover-letter-for-wall-street-internship–and-now-tons-of-people-are-trying-to-hire-him-151518002.html

I like that letter too. And I would interview that kid if I were in a position that could help him.

But now, I just wonder how many carbon copies are now being sent out by people who think “hey, I’ll just do the same thing.”

It does go to show that a positive attitude, general smarts, and a clear willingness to work without complaints will go a long way.

It was only an internship…If he was applying for a job with a 100K base salary +bonus I wonder if it would be as well received?

SDSU