Book for Mergers and Acquisitions

can anyone recommend a good book or online tutorial on acquisitions. how one company decides whether to acquire the target company or not, what happens to the target company after the acquisition (full or part) is complete, the different types of mergers and acquisitions etc. thanks!

robert bruner. amazon him. also: bruce wassersteins “big deal” is a good backgrounder

also, read TheDeal.com if you can get a sub

you could check level 2 corp fin curriculum.

jimjohn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > can anyone recommend a good book or online > tutorial on acquisitions. how one company decides > whether to acquire the target company or not, what > happens to the target company after the > acquisition (full or part) is complete, the > different types of mergers and acquisitions etc. > thanks! What is all of this for? Are you just interested or do you have an M&A interview? This covers a wide span of roles . . . just to let you know. Here are a few I have on my shelf - - Clemente Greenspan have a book called “Winning at Mergers and Acquisitions” - Predeal Planning - Examining Targets - Revenue Enhancement - Prioritizing to Drive Shareholder value - Developing Communications Programs - Postmerger integration plan There is a “Harvard Business Review on Mergers and Acquisitions.” It is a bit dated, but ok. - Lessons from acquirers - Friendly Acquisitions - Paying too much for it? - Stock vs. Cash - Saving a Merger - Who to cut post merger - How GE Capital Integrates Acquisitions - Integration Managers M&A: Practical Guide to doing the Deal by Jeffrey Hooke - Looks like a pretty decent book. Mergers & Acquisitions by Dana Vachon - If you think you can get any useful M&A info out of this, don’t bother getting it. It is semi-fiction and nearly pure entertainment. Was an ok read - I guess similar to Monkey Business but a bit more far fetched. Big Deal by Wasserstein is good too as mentioned above. If you get this book, look in the back and he has a great index of sources that you can find a ton of other good M&A/business releated references.

thanks a lot guys. its not for an interview or anything, just interested in understanding how these work. for example, i dont understand how sometimes when a company is acquired its stock still trades on the exchanges and sometimes it doesnt after being acquired.

I recommend “Applied Mergers & Acquisitions” by Robert Bruner and Joseph Perella. It provides the most comprehensive overview on the subject that I’ve seen. I highly recommend it. jimjohn, a public company that’s been the target of an acquisition is still is listed on the exchange until the deal is actually closed.

Ya I would say WSP is a pretty good source for this. Willy

M&A: Practical Guide to doing the Deal by Jeffrey Hooke - a very hands on type of a book. WSP - as good as smth. practical really gets. The Art of M&A is a timeless classic, but is rather theoretical compared to the two above.