books for financial modelling and company valuation in excel

guys, im trying to learn about financial modeling / company valuation in excel. I know my finance stuff but when it comes to excel, aside from basic functions, regression and basic statistics, I don’t know anything else. I am looking for some kind of a self study guide/ manual to use with ms excel that would help teach me forecasting, modelling, valuation etc. thank you Viktor

use the search button dealmaven.com trainingthestreet.com etc…

thank you sir

anybody here have the buddycode for WSP??

An ex-colleague of mine wrote this http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Financial-Modelling-Practice-Professional/dp/0750663561/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199122136&sr=1-1 I’ve never read it, but I imagine it will give you a good introduction to financial modelling in Excel. Though you’ll most likely need something else to go from project finance to company valuation. Still at $40 it will be cheaper than a course.

I bought WSP and I’m working through it right now. Here’s the buddy code for Wall Street Prep - REF8041 Get 15% off.

My WSP code is 2 8 6 6 Willy

Shob, Willy, others that have done the WSP self study course: What did you think? Did you learn a lot for the money. I have no modeling experience and am considering purchasing this program. Thanks.

Moto - I’m taking it right now and think it’s very helpful. I went with the basic $200 option because I was a little hesitant on shelling out $500. Although, I spoke with the company and then told me that at any time I could purchase the entire package (Discounted Cash Flow) for the remaining $300. So there’s a little less risk. Also, he mentioned that this is the training material that Goldman Sachs uses in its analyst training program. Not sure I believe that though - maybe a fellow GSer could verify.

The material is definitely good if you have no experience at all. I bought it primarily for the resume value. I have done a lot of heavy excel modelling work on the job, but not exactly i-banking type modelling. So, I was more interested in the valuation modelling package. They have a small test you can take online, after which you can say you have a “certificate in financial & valuation modelling” from WSP. I figured that would help my resume more than just saying “I learnt valuation modelling from a friend” or “I have no life so I study valuation modelling in my spare time”. But - it is self study. They have an option to go online and talk to people (staff / forum?) for I think a year or so, but I haven’t tried that yet.

I’ll say this… I paid about $500 for the WSP Premium Package and I found it that it takes you from Zero to psuedo hero in the optimal amount of time. 3 hours a night and you’ll be modeling in about a Month. But don’t think that a course [any course] will make you an expert financial model builder. NO DOUBT…WSP will help. However, the best prep is getting an ER gig. Willy