Boston College vs Northeastern MBA

Hello, I was accepted into Boston College and Northeastern for their MBA programs. I did not receive any scholarships for BC, but I did get a 25k per year (50K total) for Northeastern. I was looking for peoples perspectives on which program to go to (especially if you have completed either program). I am in my mid-20s, and want to get in asset management after the program. I have a 3 years of work experience in commercial banking, nothing to exciting or analytical. Like I said before id like to get into wealth/asset management and which is why im pursuing the CFA lvl (2 in June). My undergraduate school was your average private college but I had a high GPA. With my current work experience and undergraduate degree I have not had any luck and securing a job within AM. Thank you,

Does this help? http://www.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/mba_pay_the_haul_of_lifetime.html

Within Boston, it seems like BC has a better alum network, esp in the asset mgmt space. Immediately moving into the “prime” positions i.e. research or port mgmt will still be extremely tough as you’ll still be competing with people w experience and/or top school MBAs. Mid/back office will def be doable. Outside of Boston, I’m not sure that either of these will help you break into the industry.

why isnt UoP on that list? Harvard probably had to pay bweek mad paper to keep them off the list

BC MBA > NUE MBA You will not get any buy-side recuiting for either one. But BC does have a solid alumni base around Boston in the buy-side but it will still be tough. I think completing the CFA by itself you will have a better chance of breaking into the buy-side then a MBA from either one. If you’re 25, finish the CFA when your 27ish and apply for a top 10-15 program.

BC does get buy-side recruiters. I know a few people at MFS and a few smaller places that went to BC for their MBA and were recruited right out of school. A few small PE shops also recruit there. NU would be a much harder school to get into the buy-side from. Go to BC. BC + CFA is pretty solid in Boston.

Hello, The scholarship wouldnt make a difference for any of you. Both schools tuitions are comprable, and the scholarship would cover more than 50% at NEU. Going by the Forbes B-School survery (I understand that any survey like this is has its inconsistencies) there is a difference in out of school pay and pay down the road. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/95/best-business-schools-09_Boston-College-(Carroll)_950063.html http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/95/best-business-schools-09_Northeastern_950229.html Would there be a significant difference in the leverage i could get out of the Alumni network between the two?

bump

this vs that, this vs that, this vs that, this vs that, this vs that…

I know a few people who went to BC part-time MBA and/or MSF. None got FO analyst gigs in boston. Did see a pay bump but all made less then 6 figures. They’re all in the CFA program right now. A MBA is like your re-set card, Havard is an Ace while NEU is like a 3 or 4. BC is a 5 or 6.

BC >>> NEU. If your undergrad is truly “average”, then Northeastern is a step down and not worth going to for MBA program even if it was free.

call me crazy, but i’m almost willing to take the other side of this argument. i feel like an MBA these days if it’s not top 10 is just another check box. i know that’s sort of blunt, but is it not true in a lot of ways? i live in boston, have my MBA from BC- the connections of BC are great here, people are very loyal to that school, but honestly i don’t know that either one are a lock for some dream job afterwards in this economy. given the choices and debt, in your shoes i honestly might take northeastern, get good grades, and network like a bad mo fo. BC is definitely the better school. but these days, 50k of debt better? see i just don’t know if an MBA is worth that much right now. sadly. or a CFA- people seem to think once they get the charter, magical doors open up. you have to network and make the connections, 3 letters or not.

Delta, is this full time or part time? To add on to bannisja’s point… most people on this board will tell you BC, but Northeastern has very strong placement via their Co-op program, including my firm. The 6 month “corporate residency” is something you should consider when making your choice. You may want to ask their office for more info on that program, placement rates, contracted Investment Management firms, etc.

Route 1: Your best bet imo is PT BC MSF and get your employer to pay for it. Finish CFA. Go a top 10-15 MBA in a few years. Places like UT Austin, UVA, Cornell, etc. have strong regional recuiting for boutiques and then transition to investment management afterwards. Route 2: Otherwise its pretty much start-out in BO/MO in Boston, finish CFA, work hard, and hope you get promoted to a FO job (happens alot actually but much harder these days). When I was 23/24 I was in your shoes, I choose route 2 because the CFA was cheaper and carries more weight in Boston then a BC MBA or BC MSF imo.

Route 1: Your best bet imo is PT BC MSF and get your employer to pay for it. Finish CFA. Go a top 10-15 MBA in a few years. Places like UT Austin, UVA, Cornell, etc. have strong regional recuiting for boutiques and then transition to investment management afterwards. Route 2: Otherwise its pretty much start-out in BO/MO in Boston, finish CFA, work hard, and hope you get promoted to a FO job (happens alot actually but much harder these days). When I was 23/24 I was in your shoes, I choose route 2 because the CFA was cheaper and carries more weight in Boston then a BC MBA or BC MSF imo.

In reference to what BiPolar just said, I’m going Route 1. I’m finishing up the PT BC MSF and am applying for FT MBA programs this fall. I’m looking at UVA, Cornell, etc. A 10-15 FT MBA program is absolutely a must if you want a “legit” job. Unfortunately, BC/NE really don’t qualify. In my opinion, the FT MBA is just not worth it if you aren’t in a fairly highly ranked program.

How is this even a question? Does Northeastern even have a recruiting fair? The 2011 edition of U.S. News & World Report’s “America’s Best Graduate Schools” ranks the MBA Full-time Program number 39 http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/rankings Financial Times ranks the Carroll School of Management MBA program at 47 worldwide, and at 23 in the U.S., in the 2010 Global MBA Ranking http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-rankings

BC > Northeastern easily. Also BC FT MBA > BC PT MBA recruiting.

Is it not possible to work harder in hopes of getting into a better program? I’m with BiPolarBoyBoston, prossetti, and bannisja – neither of these programs in and of themselves are likely to convert into decent buy-side jobs, but if you had to take one of them, why not go for the one that gives you more money? Personally I feel like I’d rather not go to either of these unless I had no other alternatives and somehow felt like I really needed an MBA. I guess it would really help to know what you’d done pre-MBA in your education/career leading up to this point…