boundedly selfish

Mudd was recently hired by Contis Capital Management as an education consultant for company defined contribution plans. Mudd’s role at the firm will be developing educational content and delivering that content to company employees to help them learn about their retirement plan. Jim Contis, the owner of the firm specializes in investment management, but makes the following statements to Mudd as she starts her new job: Statement 1: Individuals in defined contribution retirement plans need to be educated about the concepts of risk and return, but once they understand investing, individuals tend to make investment decisions that are in their own best interests. Statement 2: Once an individual investor in a defined contribution plan has attained a basic knowledge about investment concepts, they typically follow through on monitoring and making adjustments to their retirement plan. With regard to Contis’ statements, Mudd should: a) disagree with Statements 1 and 2. b) agree with Statement 1, but disagree with Statement 2. c) agree with both statements.

b – they need to be coached to be more expert at risk management ( guessing!)

A?

A is correct. I chose :c in Jan.

I picked B, can anyone explain why B is wrong?

Both statements are incorrect so “A” is correct. In statement 1, this part is incorrect "but once they understand investing, individuals tend to make investment decisions that are in their own best interests. " In statement 2, this part is incorrect “they typically follow through on monitoring and making adjustments to their retirement plan.”

I picked A. Statement 1 is wrong because investors exhibit bounded self control which means that even though they know the correct thing to do they often cannot do it because of lack of self control.

Is this a Schweser question? It’s more about semantic rather than context. Sometimes they try too hard to make it tough that it hardly makes sense

Yes. In plain language, the individuals can’t live without the financial advisors.:slight_smile:

Nice. I now want to be a financial advisor.

A - no doubt

A - mistakes are made by employees

Definitely A. Investors are loss averse, not risk averse.

A Statement 1 part about " but once they understand investing, individuals tend to make investment decisions that are in their own best interests" is incorrect Statement 2 “they typically follow through on monitoring and making adjustments to their retirement plan” is also incorrect Both are behavioral finance investor biases the first is not true due to possible endorsing effect the second is not due to the phenomena where investors set it and forget it ( cant recall the exact term)

I picked A I would say statement 1 is not true for a variety of reasons. Just because they understand risk and return doesn’t mean they can make the correct decisions most of the time. They can be boundedly selfish, or might suffer from 1/n diversification or the endorsing effect, or be just plain wrong because they do not have the ability/time to make good decisions.

Right answer is A because they need to consult a CFA Chartered Holder for advice and teach them all about behavor finance :slight_smile: