Brain gone blank

Help me with this. For 20 years you’ve been contributing $200 to a savings account at the start of each year. It’s now worth $5,000. What is your average annual return? I’m having a brain blankout.

Easiest way is to use your financial calculator. On an HP-12C, g[BEG], input n = 20, PMT = - 200, FV = 5000, compute i = 2.079%

thanks DD

You can also use IRR(Range) function in Excel.

FYI the precise formula is: Pmt * [(1+i)^n - 1] / i = accumulated amt Of course solving for i algebraicly can be impossible depending on n, so a recursive formula or approach would be necessary to do it by hand. Or you could just use the methods above. :slight_smile:

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Help me with this. > > For 20 years you’ve been contributing $200 to a > savings account at the start of each year. It’s > now worth $5,000. What is your average annual > return? > > I’m having a brain blankout. You are not a candidate on this program, period.

Oal29 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > newsuper Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Help me with this. > > > > For 20 years you’ve been contributing $200 to a > > savings account at the start of each year. It’s > > now worth $5,000. What is your average annual > > return? > > > > I’m having a brain blankout. > > You are not a candidate on this program, period. HA! coming from the guy that has been on the forum for 7 whole months! at your post rate you’d need to hang around for 7+ more years to equal newsuper’s contribution to the board… and that’s assuming you say something of value, but based on your post above i suspect not troll

No Offence or disrespect but “how are you a level 3 candidate”!!! This post must be a joke….

Sheesh, lay off the guy. I’ve certainly seen him as a contributing member in the year I’ve been here, and his post count at the least would suggest he’s not just here for kicks. If you’ve never had a day where you needed to lookup the formula for a basic ratio or completely blanked on the most basic of your job processes for a moment, then you aren’t human.

Oal29 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > newsuper Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Help me with this. > > > > For 20 years you’ve been contributing $200 to a > > savings account at the start of each year. It’s > > now worth $5,000. What is your average annual > > return? > > > > I’m having a brain blankout. > > You are not a candidate on this program, period. Spot on. I’m not a candidate on this program. I passed L3 this year so yes technically I’m not a candidate anymore. In fact I quite comfortably passed all 3 exams the first time round in the shortest time you can do it. So there you go. Like I said, I was having a brain spasm trying to work out something at work and wanted to make sure I wasn’t going mental. It happens. I remember a job interview once many many years ago where the interviewer asked me to explain what a bond was and my mind went completely blank and I just sat there like a stunned mullet until he put me out of my misery. Sometime the synapses just forget to link up y’know.

agreed! It’s happened to me… by the way I’ve always been curious about your user name. I think stunnedmullet will be my next incarnation!

Agree, the same thing happen to me one month ago … I just passed my L3 this Aug and when the interviewer ask me to give a definition to bond … I stunned … that’s how I fail my interview

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Oal29 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > newsuper Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Help me with this. > > > > > > For 20 years you’ve been contributing $200 to > a > > > savings account at the start of each year. > It’s > > > now worth $5,000. What is your average annual > > > return? > > > > > > I’m having a brain blankout. > > > > You are not a candidate on this program, > period. > > > Spot on. I’m not a candidate on this program. I > passed L3 this year so yes technically I’m not a > candidate anymore. In fact I quite comfortably > passed all 3 exams the first time round in the > shortest time you can do it. So there you go. > > Like I said, I was having a brain spasm trying to > work out something at work and wanted to make sure > I wasn’t going mental. It happens. > > I remember a job interview once many many years > ago where the interviewer asked me to explain what > a bond was and my mind went completely blank and I > just sat there like a stunned mullet until he put > me out of my misery. Sometime the synapses just > forget to link up y’know. Ha ha, I have been in a very similar situation…those interview questions never end well. Best, TheCHad