Brand manager vs Investment Analyst career

Hi, Please help me in deciding between these two careers. I have following perceptions about them: Brand Manager: 1. More Glamorous 2. Less Working hours 3. More Soft skill based + less technical 4. More job satisfaction 5. Job security less sensitive to market conditions. Investment Manager 1. More Money 2. More technical than soft skill based 3. Job security very sensitive to market conditions. 4. Long working hours and less job satisfaction. 5. You always have to keep staring at your computer screen crunching numbers. Please throw some light specially if this post comes across an Investment Manager or a Brand Manager.

which one do you like to do better? i’d pick that one. the rest dosen’t really matter.

Hmmm you do realise that this is a Forum of Investment and /or wannabe Investment people . The fact that you even have to think about this is a clear indication that this industry is not for you .

If you like crunching numbers, analyze and model things, solve problems, finance is the way to go… If you are a people person and if you like to understand what people think, what they want to buy, etc…, then you should choose marketing… By the way, I do not agree that people in finance have less job satisfaction…It really depends on whether somebody likes what he/she does…

your perceptions are not off the mark but I’d suggest talking to more people. Brand managers (within CPG) are marketing focused with cross-functional work that involves finance, operations. Its a very hands-on running a business type career path. The vault and wetfeet guides will be useful to you. Give 'em a quick read.

shalabh@fidelity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi, > > Please help me in deciding between these two > careers. I have following perceptions about > them: > > Brand Manager: > 1. More Glamorous > 2. Less Working hours > 3. More Soft skill based + less technical > 4. More job satisfaction > 5. Job security less sensitive to market > conditions. > > Investment Manager > 1. More Money > 2. More technical than soft skill based > 3. Job security very sensitive to market > conditions. > 4. Long working hours and less job satisfaction. > 5. You always have to keep staring at your > computer screen crunching numbers. > > Please throw some light specially if this post > comes across an Investment Manager or a Brand > Manager. job satisfaction is dependent on the individual not the position

i read it on princeton review website that if u wish to do MBA and wish to pay back your loan in shorter period then go for careers like stock broking, investment banking or investment analyst. The biggest lure for working in finance sector is money which i think is not great in other sectors comparatively. I have been doing some research work on careers and i find that with an experience of 5+ years, financial sector is the biggest pay master. Although IT career is a competitor in pay but i have seen lot of people moving from IT to finance for sheer interest and money in later.

shalabh@fidelity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi, > > Please help me in deciding between these two > careers. I have following perceptions about > them: > > Brand Manager: > > Investment Manager Do the brand manager career so you don’t take the spot of someone who has a genuine passion for finance.

You have generalised things a fair bit there. You could be the Brand Manager for Tampax. Exciting huh? I’ll simplify it further for you… if you’re the creative, arty-farty type then go for a marketing career. If numbers are more your thing, go for finance.