Breaking into Research/Analysis

I have been trying to break into some sort of research position for a while now and would like some advice. I tend to excel in roles that require me to dive deep on a particular area, and that is why I am looking for a more focused gig such as equity research or analysis. Background: I got my BS in May '08 and worked for a year with a regulatory agency. Since this past August '09, I have been working as a financial analyst for a consultant focusing on small business owners ($20-$100M per year revenue range). I am pursuing the CFA (just sat for level 1 last Saturday) and networking where I can. Obviously, the bigger banks and capital markets groups are extremely competitive. But the smaller firms tend to hire locally. Does anyone have any input as to what types of firms I should be applying to?

I heard that Cartel Capital Management is hiring.

i think you might be the first one to do this but try the search function just in case

Jscott24 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i think you might be the first one to do this but > try the search function just in case I have tried that. Thanks for the advice though.

Insurance companies are easier to get into, but good luck without an MBA or charter.

It is going to be tough right now. While we have your background, it is relatively generic. The first thing you should do is think about what skills you have and what skills you want to develop. Then, you can find out where you will be suited to work.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It is going to be tough right now. While we have > your background, it is relatively generic. The > first thing you should do is think about what > skills you have and what skills you want to > develop. Then, you can find out where you will be > suited to work. I have been reflecting on that lately. As I mentioned before, I like to dive deep into any challenge and become as much of an expert as possible. I like to investigate the inner workings of anything I come across (e.g., business financial ratios and trends, the economy on both a macro and micro level depending on the situation, antique clocks that I repair without permission as the elderly shopkeeper stares in horror, etc.). That is why I am leaning towards equity research: because is requires a level of specialization (follow a particular sector or a select group of companies). In the end, I just want to find something that I can pick apart and explain to others. Not because I am arrogant, but because I find it fascinating and that is simply how I tick.

Do you see yourself as adding more on the mathy side? (I crunch numbers faster and more accurately than anyone else?) Or do you see yourself as adding more value on the investigation/interpretation side? (I can talk with the CFO of BuggerMeBetter Corp and figure out if he’s overly optimistic or feeding me BS?

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do you see yourself as adding more on the mathy > side? (I crunch numbers faster and more > accurately than anyone else?) > > Or do you see yourself as adding more value on the > investigation/interpretation side? (I can talk > with the CFO of BuggerMeBetter Corp and figure out > if he’s overly optimistic or feeding me BS? I would put myself in the second category. I am naturally inquisitive, so I have a Socratic approach to learning and teaching (when the opportunity presents itself). However, I do like to work with numbers, but I need to bone up on my mathematical knowledge. I can’t remember the last time I did anything with calculus, other than using first derivatives for maximum revenue or profit.

OK, sounds like you are more of a Fundamental Analysis type. So you should pick an industry - either one you have a lot of personal interest in, or perhaps an industry where you worked in the regulatory capacity - and build up your knowledge and skills in it. Then go ahead and write up a research report on one of the companies in the industry… perhaps get a sell-side research report on a competing company and use that as a template for identifying the format and structure of the report. Then dive into it and write up a report or two that you can shop around with your resume as a sample of the work you can do. Write up your own industry overview (meaning you write it yourself - you can borrow others’ research for building your arguments, as long as you cite appropriately). You also mentioned that “smaller firms tend to hire locally,” if you can figure out what industries or companies they specialize in, that might be a good way to decide what industry to focus in on.

bchadwick, is it going to be a preview of your book available to all your AF followers?

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > OK, sounds like you are more of a Fundamental > Analysis type. So you should pick an industry - > either one you have a lot of personal interest in, > or perhaps an industry where you worked in the > regulatory capacity - and build up your knowledge > and skills in it. Then go ahead and write up a > research report on one of the companies in the > industry… perhaps get a sell-side research > report on a competing company and use that as a > template for identifying the format and structure > of the report. > That seems like a good idea. I think I will try that out. It’s also a good way to keep myself fresh on the ethics portion of the CFA exams!

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick, is it going to be a preview of your > book available to all your AF followers? The book is in very early stages right now. I’m not sure at what stage a preview might be appropriate, but I’ll think about it when I get closer to done.

Posts like this one make following this message board worthwhile and are the reason why I put up with all the junk (pics, your mom, you know.)

I appreciate the insight and ideas. Thanks. By the way, I was clicking around last night and came across BankerBall.com. It is an insanely shallow and egotistical website, but they did some open resume critiques back in 2008 that are worth a look.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Part-time Crook Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > bchadwick, is it going to be a preview of your > > book available to all your AF followers? > > > The book is in very early stages right now. I’m > not sure at what stage a preview might be > appropriate, but I’ll think about it when I get > closer to done. haha. i better get honourable mention for getting you thinking about things :slight_smile: