breaking into the field

Hi Would passing the Level I help me break into the investment field as an Equity Analyst? My question is would employers consider level 1 pass as a qualification or would they not care about it as they only want people with the CFA charter. I plan on passing all 3 levels. Level I candidate June 08. Thanks

use the search function. part of being successful in equity analysis is knowing how to look for data that might be tough to find. another part of being successful in equity analysis is knowing how to look for data that is easy to find…

> > I plan on passing all 3 levels. > > > Generally, that’s the point.

Yes passing Level I would definitely help. The timing was coincidental, but I got hired in equity research right after I passed Level I. The main thing is it proves to the analyst doing the hiring that you’re committed to the field, and that you have a grasp of basic accounting principles, which you’ll use to build models, etc… One bonus is that if you get hired in equity research, the firm should pay for you to take the remaining levels of the exam…

Will it help? Yes. Will it help a lot? No.

Agree with holdside. Don’t count on it to get you there. It probably accounts for ~5% of a hiring managers decision. Having the charter itself would give you a bigger boost, obviously. Look through job postings. Many entry level analyst jobs require ‘progress towards CFA’; the higher up jobs require it or state that it’s ‘highly desirable’.

if you’re in Canada, i think it matters very little. its a basic requirement.

If you’re lucky enough to get an interview it will give you something to talk about.

I didn’t have much luck with Equity Analyst positions when I passed LI a few years ago on the West Coast. From what I’ve observed, most shops primarily value any or all of the following: 1.) direct experience with modeling 2.) strong FSA/accounting skills and background or 3.) solid background in the industry you would be covering. Passing LI may get your foot in the door for associate positions, but don’t expect recruiters to be knocking on your door. Equity research positions are very high demand from what I’ve seen and most recruiters can even weed out those who even have the designation.

What about Series 7 ?? I have seen lot of companies in the US requiring that Series 7 be passed within 90 days of being hired. I currently work for an Investment Bank but not as an Equity Analyst. i am trying to get them to sponsor me for the Series 7 exam. Any clue if having a Series 7 on the resume makes one stand out ?? Thanks.

taz722 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What about Series 7 ?? I have seen lot of > companies in the US requiring that Series 7 be > passed within 90 days of being hired. I currently > work for an Investment Bank but not as an Equity > Analyst. i am trying to get them to sponsor me for > the Series 7 exam. Any clue if having a Series 7 > on the resume makes one stand out ?? > > Thanks. no…anyone who works in ER or IB will automatically be sponsored for series 7. it’s a requirement. don’t take it on your own…it doesn’t show that you have any extra “skill” or motivation if that’s what you’re asking

But does it not show that I am better prepared for the job starting Day 1 compared to someone who will need to appear for the exam. Comments ??

how are you better prepared for the job? you tell me.

The series 7 exam has nothing to do with whether you’re prepared…its a basic securities license to solicit commissions for securities transactions. On average, any person, even without a college degree, can study for it for 2-4 weeks and pass. I heard the pass rate is about 80%. The only advantage for the employer is they don’t have to wait for a person to get licensed vs. someone who already has it. I have it and the exam just memorization of basic investment characteristics and regulations.

Saying that youre more prepared for the job because you have the series 7 is like saying that you are more prepared because you have 5 sets of ironed work shirts vs someone who hasnt gone shopping yet.

LOL

Well done commstudent.

Anyone has any tips on how to get into equity research? Thanks.

Passing the first level was the greatest investment of time I have ever made. Otherwise, I would be some other douche Joe Sucks at Life college grad. Be persistent. Thats the only way apparently the get a job.