Brett Favre's streak

I’m surprised so many people are saying that his ironman streak will never be broken. Peyton Manning is 5 years away. 5 years might be an eternity in football, but it is certainly doable.

It will probably be broken some day, but 5 years is a pretty long time. Do you really think Peyton Manning will not get sick or injured for 5 years?

Manning is 35 years old kiddos, aint no way he breaks the streak

formertrader, I agree. Peyton is well within reach of that streak and I believe has a legitimate chance to break it. Where do you think this streak ranks among some of the modern day sporting streaks? Here are some of my favorite streaks off the top off my head: Brett Favre’s consecutive games streak. Cal Ripken’s consecutive games streak. Tiger Woods’ making the cut streak Roger Federer’s consecutive grand slam semi-finals streak (23)

NYCGorilla Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Manning is 35 years old kiddos, aint no way he > breaks the streak Really hard to imagine anyone else would then. Manning has started every game of his career, so unless a future QB comes out of college early, he’s going to be just as old as Manning. There are a couple of things in Peyton’s favor: he’s 6’5" and 230, so he’s not a small dude; he get’s hit less than any QB I’ve ever seen. Interestingly, the Manning brothers are now 1 & 2 in active streaks.

Joey D’s hit streak will NEVER be broken. All others are reachable.

Ichiro’s 200+ hits during ten consecutive years is also crazy. Favre’s streak is the hardest to beat IMO, even with Manning five years away. He chokes in the playoffs so it doesn’t matter anyway.

Maybe Manning CAN break it but who’s to say he wants to still play football when he’s 40. Most QBs retire before that age. Favre’s streak is so incredible because not only was he good enough to play for that long and that he stayed healthy but also that he was willing to continue playing and taking that kind of abuse in his 40s.

I don’t think anyone will break the all time NFL rushing record. This is now a two-back league.

Inner Evil Voice Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ichiro’s 200+ hits during ten consecutive years is > also crazy. Favre’s streak is the hardest to beat > IMO, even with Manning five years away. He chokes > in the playoffs so it doesn’t matter anyway. As opposed to Favre, who has great decision making skills in conference championship games.

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think anyone will break the all time NFL > rushing record. This is now a two-back league. Unless they go to an 18 game schedule…

BValGuy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > murders&executions Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I don’t think anyone will break the all time > NFL > > rushing record. This is now a two-back league. > > > Unless they go to an 18 game schedule… I’m not sure that will make a difference. Guys only have so much to give over the course of their career. I actually wouldn’t be surprised to see an 18 game schedule result in guys playing fewer games in their careers.

^ in terms of the consecutive games played, I think you have a point. But I was referring to the career rushing record (single season), at least that was how I took M&E’s comment.

BValGuy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ in terms of the consecutive games played, I > think you have a point. But I was referring to > the career rushing record (single season), at > least that was how I took M&E’s comment. Ahh, I though you meant Emmit Smith’s career rushing record. Single season mark will almost certainly fall within a couple of years of 18 game season. There will always be a few standout RB’s in the league who get 20+ carries per game. AP or Arian Foster would certainly have a shot at the single season mark within the next 5 years.

I think the league is going to 18 games a season but I stand by my remark that I don’t think the all-time NFL rushing record will not be broken.

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think the league is going to 18 games a season > but I stand by my remark that I don’t think the > all-time NFL rushing record will not be broken. My thought is that more games will be bunched in the younger years of a career. So the number of games in a career might be the same, but they will come at a younger and more productive time. Emmitt would certainly have more yards if he had more games in his early 20’s than some in his 30’s.

All NFL records are susceptible to being broken as they are all so new (didn’t Chris Johnson just break the rushing yards in a season record last year?). Granted, all records will be broken as t -> infinity, but in our lifetimes (call it 50 years) I think the only records we won’t see broken are Cal Ripken’s Ironman, Barry Bonds’s HRs in a season (no more roids), and Joey D’s hit streak (this one will last a very long time I think - unless changes are made to the fundamentals of the game, i.e. mound height is reduced or something similar).

I think Manning will break it if he decides to keep playing. Dude never gets hit ball is gone quick. Although with all those commercials that dude does I think if he is feeling it he will step away. I also always wonder what that 3rd manning brother-the non quarter back brother manages his life. Maybe its just me but I’d be a bit bummed in his position.

^Cooper Manning is actually a partner at Howard Weil

You simply can’t say that all records will be broken. Some sports records will never be broken due to fundamental shifts in the sport or external influencing factors. I think the rushing record falls into the first category I mentioned. With the increased specialization of the position, no single back gets every single carry. Also, the d backs and linemen are bigger and faster these days than they were even 10 years ago. Byron Nelson’s streak of 11 straight PGA tour victories won’t be eclipsed for two reasons. 1) It was a function of less competitive fields as a result of WWII. 2) Good players simply do not play 11 tournaments in a row anymore. They hardly ever even play 4 events in a row. The only players playing every week are those trying to retain their cards. No team will win 8 consecutive NCAA basketball titles as a result of increased parity and the rigors of the NCAA tournament. king_kong Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > All NFL records are susceptible to being broken as > they are all so new (didn’t Chris Johnson just > break the rushing yards in a season record last > year?). Granted, all records will be broken as t > -> infinity, but in our lifetimes (call it 50 > years) I think the only records we won’t see > broken are Cal Ripken’s Ironman, Barry Bonds’s HRs > in a season (no more roids), and Joey D’s hit > streak (this one will last a very long time I > think - unless changes are made to the > fundamentals of the game, i.e. mound height is > reduced or something similar).