BRICS and Babies

derswap07 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I can understand the babies-but what do you do > when your spouse does not understand why you have > to study so much for the exam which is in June ? I > find it very hard to deal with. Any suggestions ? Show her this http://www.russellreynolds.com/pdf/media/US%20release_FINAL.pdf I think this is what plyon is referring to.

Thanks guys, it is what I needed. This article is a little outdated though.

Sure, it’s a little outdated, but still a good indicator. Interesting… I didn’t realize that the survey basically also shows that an MBA combined with a CFA isn’t worth that much for professionals with 10 yrs experience or more (median of 248K for CFA only, vs 255K for CFA & MBA). I’ve been considering an MBA this year, so I won’t be showing this to my wife at least.

I can’t use those earplugs, because I feel like I can hear my heartbeat too much when I have them in. I have a 4 year old and a 4 months old. When I need to study, I go to the basement. If anyone distrubs me, they go right to the naughty chair. When the library opens, I go there. And I stay late at work to study. It seems to work so far.

Smarshy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I can’t use those earplugs, because I feel like I > can hear my heartbeat too much when I have them > in. > I feel you Smarshy. I can hear it too. The last thing I want to think about when getting ready for this exam is my own mortality.

… or worse: my inner demons.

Actually, what’s worst is hearing my own teeth thouch, but I thought it would sound weird if I wrote that.

I have a 4 months old son. It is difficult for me to balance family and L3 test, although I think family should be put on top. My wife loads all works of taking care the baby. It does make me deeply believe I AM A BAD DAD.

Smarshy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Actually, what’s worst is hearing my own teeth > thouch, but I thought it would sound weird if I > wrote that. Nothing you write sounds weird anymore!

derswap07 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I can understand the babies-but what do you do > when your spouse does not understand why you have > to study so much for the exam which is in June ? I > find it very hard to deal with. Any suggestions ? “You know hon, Your problem is that you married some dumb f*ck who finds this stupid test hard and needs a sh!tload of time to gets this stupid material in his f*cking head. Now get the f*ck out of my study room because I HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THIS IPS SH!T. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA” This is the part where she shakes her head, says I never take her seriously and adds that I’ll pass for sure because I’m taking it seriously and study enough - just like the last two years where she was right about it. As if she knows what ‘enough’ is. Endless discussion.

plyon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sure, it’s a little outdated, but still a good > indicator. > > Interesting… I didn’t realize that the survey > basically also shows that an MBA combined with a > CFA isn’t worth that much for professionals with > 10 yrs experience or more (median of 248K for CFA > only, vs 255K for CFA & MBA). I’ve been > considering an MBA this year, so I won’t be > showing this to my wife at least. My guess it that the different groups have very different characteristics. So, if you controlled for those other effects in a regression, I think the MBA would have more impact on salaries. It also probably lumps all MBAs together. I doubt an MBA from East Cowlick State adds much. OTOH, a Harvard or Wharton MBA probably does.

badbeat88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So, this morning I head to Starbucks about 5:50 > am, order a scone and grande coffee and sit down > to read the chapter on BRICs. First, with regard > to the reading, I think this should be eliminated > from the CFA program. IN my opinion, the > likelihood of a forecast 40 years out being even > remotely close to accurate is less than 5%. The > point of the material is that developing nations > may soon be producing more than the G-6 - why > provide us with all of this material that will > never materialize?? Can’t give you any advice on handling kids & the exam, but wanted to let you know that on 01/14/2009 China surpassed Germany to become the 3rd largest economy in the world, after US & Japan: http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/14/news/international/china_economy.reut/index.htm

The reading is pretty stupid - what are they going to test - complete garbage Disclaimer: I have no babies

I have a 19 month and a 1 month old baby. My secret to studying is waking up at 6am (well the kids are sleeping until 8am) or study late at night 11pm-1am (when the kids are asleep). Preparing for this cfa exam has been hard, but I really wish the cfa can open new doors… but I don’t it can in this market. Anyway, the biggest enemy to studying is the physical need for sleep.

After the earplug discussion on the prior page I ordered a massive ear plug trial pack. http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/unfoamtrialp.html In case anyone was planning on picking up some earplugs to block out babies, use for the exam, or muffle your nagging spouse/girlfriend and were intimidated by the myriad of earplug options my (very unscientific) test proved, at a ridiculously high confidence interval, that the Howard Leight LaserLites were the best overall (comfort and noise blockage). http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/noname.html I’m sure many of you have been losing sleep contemplating the plethora of ear plug offerings so my inner humanitarian moved me to selflessly post my findings. You are all welcome.

Bankin’, you contribution to society will not go unnoticed.

huge. need to block out all of starbucks and the ones i have suck. i will try these.

I just can’t believe there is an earplug superstore.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bankin’, you contribution to society will not go > unnoticed. That’s what I want to hear! Franklin, Eddison, Einstein, Bankin’ *Beams with pride* One final bit of ear plug information; most of the earplugs in my variety pack came with instructions on insertion. Some of them advise different things, but this is the best method. With your left thumb and index finger gently compress (not twist) the earplug, especially at the tip. With your right hand pull up on the top of your left ear, opening your ear canal. Jam the earplug down your ear canal. Keep your left index finger gently pressing on the back of the earplug until it has fully expanded. If, after finishing, half of the earplug is still sticking out of your ear then you did a poor job with one of the prior steps. Get it right, you’ll know you got it right because you’ll think to yourself “Damn, this doesn’t feel natural.” Repeat on the other side.

Bankin, Can you hear yourself breathe after they are in place?