BRICS and Babies

I am a father of 2 very young children (21 months and 5 months). I love them very much, however, I find it very difficult to study at home because one or the other is always either crying, hungry or something. So, every weekend I try to wake up early and head out to Starbucks around 6:00am to avoid the environment at home and it is usally an hour or two before they wake up. Starbucks seems to be the only place open this early on Sunday. So, this morning I head to Starbucks about 5:50 am, order a scone and grande coffee and sit down to read the chapter on BRICs. First, with regard to the reading, I think this should be eliminated from the CFA program. IN my opinion, the likelihood of a forecast 40 years out being even remotely close to accurate is less than 5%. The point of the material is that developing nations may soon be producing more than the G-6 - why provide us with all of this material that will never materialize?? Anyways, I sit down to study and I think I am the only customer at 6:00am in Starbucks and believe I’ll have a fairly quiet study session, when I look up and see this toddler, no older than 9 months run around the corner and screaming - I couldn’t believe it. I rubbed my eyes in disbelief, but it was true. This kid must of been staying with her grandparents or something because they were about as old as my parents - chasing after this kid that just learned to walk. This kid was twice as loud as either of my girls - running around starbucks all morning (for about an hour), yelling, screaming, running from her grandparents. Needless to say I was rattled. I turned my ipod to the loudest setting and still couldn’t drown out her yelling. I started to wonder if this was a punishment of some sort for spending the last few years studying for this program rather than being with my family?? Who knows…

I have an 8 month old at home, so I feel your pain. You should get a package of those little purple earplugs from Wal Mart for $3, that or go to a library.

Yeah, I tried those earplugs, however, they aren’t worth even $3. Unfortunately, the library doesn’t open until 10:00 on Sundays. I’ll just take the chance that a baby will be at Starbucks at 6am on Sundays.

I have those purple earplugs and a noise maker blaring ‘white noise.’ My kid has to be really upset to penetrate through the muffled white noise shield.

My wife snores since she got pregnant, so I use those cheap foam earplugs every night. I also use them for studying, since I’m easily distracted and I have two kids. I brought a pair to the L1 and L2 exams. Good thing because in the L1 exam, the guy behind me was hacking and coughing like he was dying from something. They take some getting used to, and you really have to get them in deep for best results, but they work pretty well.

I have a 3 yr old daughter, i see what you mean. I agree with u about the BRIC section, but is it gonna tested. Thought they just wanted us to know. It was a Morgan Stanely research note i think

I don’t know how you guys use those earplugs. As soon as I put them in I can hear myself breathing and then I can’t study at all. Its worse than the kids yelling.

My daughter just turned 1 month on Saturday. Fortunately, she is very peaceful, doesn’t cry much and I can study with her. However, I haven’t studied much lately because I want to spend time with her.

Balancing family and study is tough. Wish you the best of luck. I tried to stay at the office after work to study on weekdays to make up weekends, when my wife needed to relax a little. Of course, expecting this, I started studying very early, like on the way home from previous level exam.

A friend of mine mentioned that her closest Starbucks is filled with babies and toddlers on weekend mornings. Babies tend to wake up early and parents have nowhere else to take them that early in this weather. So don’t be surprised, Badbeat88.

I love the orange foam ear plugs. Huge productivity enhancer in my mind. However, proper application for them is key.

If the earplugs you’ve tried were underwhelming, here are a bunch of earplug reviews: http://www.consumersearch.com/earplugs/reviews In the 5 minutes I spent skimming several of them, I thought this one was the best of the bunch: http://www.motorcycle.com/products/noise-a-mo-investigation-3901.html?page=2

i can deal with other people’s kids as long as i have earplugs. but if it’s my daughter (20 months), i can’t stay focused. she’s just starting to do things now that are ridiculously cute and funny.

I don’t know for you guys, but in addition to the obvious distraction of kids (have 2 of them

cfasf1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i can deal with other people’s kids as long as i > have earplugs. but if it’s my daughter (20 > months), i can’t stay focused. she’s just > starting to do things now that are ridiculously > cute and funny. I know what you mean. I was watching the NFL playoffs the other day and my oldest daughter (21 months) walks through the room, points at the screen, says “BALLFOOT!”, and keeps on walking. I couldn’t help but laugh a little. Bankin - thanks for the review on earplugs. I might try a pair with good reviews

crablegs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t know for you guys, but in addition to the > obvious distraction of kids (have 2 of them 3), there is of course the fact they are always > getting me sick with some flu or cold and that > clearly doesn’t help focusing… I have two kids less than age of 2. Over the past two years, I have been sick more times than my entire life pre-kids - no joke.

Bankin’ that’s some serious earplug analysis.

badbeat88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bankin - > > thanks for the review on earplugs. I might try a > pair with good reviews Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bankin’ that’s some serious earplug analysis. If I misrepresented the reviews as my own it was unintentional, the reviews were a product of a quick google search. The ones that the motor cycle reviewer (http://www.motorcycle.com/products/noise-a-mo-investigation-3901.html?page=2) recommended got amazing reviews on Amazon as well (http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0013A0C0Y/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1) and at $25 it’s the lowest possible amount to qualify for free shipping. I’ve always used the little $h!tty purple ones, but I’m now considering an upgrade. So if you see a guy sitting in the Level III section of the Dallas testing center in June with some pink earplugs in, it’s probably me.

I can understand the babies-but what do you do when your spouse does not understand why you have to study so much for the exam which is in June ? I find it very hard to deal with. Any suggestions ?

derswap07 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I can understand the babies-but what do you do > when your spouse does not understand why you have > to study so much for the exam which is in June ? I > find it very hard to deal with. Any suggestions ? Try whipping out that old compensation survey that shows charterholders earn something like 15-20% more than their non-charter-holding counterparts (you’re on your own to search for it, but I do remember something like this). Otherwise, I’m afraid I am the last guy to be able to offer good advice in this arena. Last year (on my first attempt), my wife said that if I failed Level II I would have to withdrawal from the program. BTW… I too find Starbucks an impossible place to study. Now that my office is a reasonable distance from my home (about 15 mins driving), I think I’ll probably find myself coming in here to study at odd / off hours. I have 24 hour access to a private, distraction-free conference room any time of day or night here and that beats S’bucks anyday.