Buffet lost 13.6 billion; hence his advice was self-serving

http://www.ifamobile.com/PortfoliosPage4.asp IFA Value index is down 55% this year, buffet is down 12%. Sure you can say Buffet underperformed when you measure at the top of the bubble - but that’s the point. Something tells me that the reason PtrainerNY attacks Buffet has nothing to do with investing.

CFAchief Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > http://www.ifamobile.com/PortfoliosPage4.asp > > IFA Value index is down 55% this year, buffet is > down 12%. Sure you can say Buffet underperformed > when you measure at the top of the bubble - but > that’s the point. > > Something tells me that the reason PtrainerNY > attacks Buffet has nothing to do with investing. what are you trying to say? It’s the size of his weener that drives him to do it?

PottyTrainerNY, Look at the record of Buffett making public calls about the broad market. They are practically ALL spot on. And, he is NOT NOT NOT a macro guy - he just offers his opinion when he has high conviction. See how this call turns out in a few years and then crush him if appropriate. Look at the Nov 99 Fortune call. It was one of the best market calls of all time. I carry a copy of that article with me everywhere i go. And again, market calls are not what he does. Of course he acts in his own self interest that’s the definition of capitalism for heaven’s sake. But, he does so as honestly and fairly as possible. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1999/11/22/269071/index.htm

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFAchief Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > http://www.ifamobile.com/PortfoliosPage4.asp > > > > IFA Value index is down 55% this year, buffet > is > > down 12%. Sure you can say Buffet > underperformed > > when you measure at the top of the bubble - but > > that’s the point. > > > > Something tells me that the reason PtrainerNY > > attacks Buffet has nothing to do with > investing. > > > what are you trying to say? It’s the size of his > weener that drives him to do it? You betcha!

:wink:

Why do you people even feel the need to defend Buffett next to this chump?

lol. what a great thread. seriously good stuff. PtrainerNY, keep it up.

Let me guess, PottyTrainer is actually a multi-ten-billionare and is fully qualified to determine what everybody should be able to do? Ohhh wait, he’s a self-hating Ron Paul nut who wants nothing more than the world to crash and burn to satiate his own selfish desires. Gee, somebody actually trying to tell people not to be so fearful? Trying to tell people to rationalize decisions? Trying to tell people to be contrarian? That can’t be good advice, he’s following his own advice, thus, he is conflicted!?

PtrainerNY is voting Sarah Palin for president. ENough said.

Anonymous anger on the internet…Professor says: “Kids don’t realize that one post can destroy somebody’s life forever” http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/11/03/angry.internet/index.html HAHA.

That darn Buffett, always trying to manipulate the markets for those short term gains. He’s such a day trader.

Buffet backs Obama so PtrainerNY bashes Buffet. You are an idiot PtrainerNY.

You guys all look like a bunch of kindergardeners on the playground. PtrainerNY, I see your point, I don’t necessarily agree with it, but I usually enjoy a perspective I haven’t heard before.

http://news.alibaba.com/article/detail/finance/100022209-1-should-you-still-believe-buffett%3F.html n a day when the Dow lost another 400 points or so, when Citigroup touched below $10 a share, GE is below $16 and Goldman is down another 9 percent, one major investor points out that the Oracle of Omaha’s investment strategy has disappointed even his staunchest supporters. No, Warren Buffett is not tied to Citi, but he is closely tied to GE and Goldman. This investor, it should be noted, is also one of Buffett’s biggest fans. All praise for the man aside, his picks and his returns have seen better days. Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway has suffered major losses this year. The company recently reported a 77 percent drop in third-quarter net income, largely attributed to more than $1 billion on unrealized derivative losses and paid hurricane claims following hurricanes Gustav and Ike. buffett As for Buffet’s own individual bets, well, they haven’t paid off, either … yet. Buffett invested a combined $8 billion in General Electric and Goldman Sachs, on terms only someone like Warren Buffett could pull off. They have yet to break even. Goldman’s stock price since Buffett invested has gone from $125 to $75, and chatter, speculation and, yes, rumors on the street about GE’s woes would make even the most bullish of investors think twice. To his credit, Buffett has lived up to his nickname of “sage” during the current financial crisis. His voice, his rhetoric, his humor and his easy-to-understand logic have together made a welcome and reassuring voice for everyone from President-elect Barack Obama to the average man on the street. He’s the toughest man to get an interview with these days, and his every word can move a stock. He’s said this is the worst financial crisis he’s seen in a long time, if ever. So you can look at it from three different points of view. One, no one is perfect, and even the smartest investor in the world makes mistakes. Two, when he says he’s a long-term investor, he really means LONG TERM. Or three, today’s Buffett is more of a symbolic and iconic figure than a master stock picker. Buffett fans probably hope the second point of view is the right one, and while they’ll likely accept the first one, I doubt they’re ready to accept the third.

Its worth pointing out, that a few months after his '99 fortune call, he probably looked dumb/past-his-prime to several people then. The tech bubble kept rolling for nearly a year after that call. Its a little early to judge the merits of his call. Its not like he said “stocks will double by year-end”

true, but he could’ve dollar cost average his way through this, somethig even amatures realize it to be sensible.

If I call the Cubs to win the world series and it happens 100 years from now I can be a genius now. Someone in finance saying something will double but long term gives them cover.

PtrainerNY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If I call the Cubs to win the world series and it > happens 100 years from now I can be a genius now. > > > Someone in finance saying something will double > but long term gives them cover. Not if we get 100% deflation :wink:

PtrainerNY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If I call the Cubs to win the world series and it > happens 100 years from now I can be a genius now. > > > Someone in finance saying something will double > but long term gives them cover. One can never be a genius when they call the Cubs winning the WS, sorry.

PtrainerNY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If I call the Cubs to win the world series and it > happens 100 years from now I can be a genius now. > > > Someone in finance saying something will double > but long term gives them cover. Do you think it will be 100 years until indexes break their 2007 year-end values? If you say at the beginning of the season that the Cubs will win the series, and I call you a fool after they lose a couple games, it seems a little premature. Financial markets tend to move in cycles that are longer than a single year.