Buffet lost 13.6 billion; hence his advice was self-serving

Topping that list is Buffett, who has seen the value of equity in his company, Berkshire Hathaway, fall by about $13.6 billion, or 22 percent, so far this year, to leave his holdings valued at $48.1 billion. Oracle founder and CEO Larry Ellison has seen his equity stake fall by $6.2 billion, or about 24 percent, to $20.1 billion, according to the research that ran from the start of the year through the close of trading Oct. 29. -> Next time someone tells you to buy stock, understand their may be a reason for it!

Did he say to buy BRK?

Isn’t BRK’s primary investment in the equity markets?

Is this a serious post?

Yes… Buffet wrote a letter encouraging people to buy stock… People took his words as gospel. There was a conflict on interest which should of been disclosed…

PtrainerNY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes… Buffet wrote a letter encouraging people to > buy stock… People took his words as gospel. There > was a conflict on interest which should of been > disclosed… But he is not bound by CFA code of conduct, lol. Furthermore, he owns so much and has so much influence that it’s hard for him to say any statement and avoid conflicts.

Yes, def conflict of interest. That does NOT neccesarily mean that he was imploring people to buy stock for his own benefit. You’re talking about a guy who lives frugally and will leave virtually all his assets to charity. The loss leaves him with about $40B more than he needs.

Buffet told people to invest in US Equities for the long term. He said he doesn’t know where the markets will be in 6 months, or 1 year, but thought there was value in US Equities. I don’t think he misled anyone and this statement is still legitimate.

There have been a number of clueless posters on AF but, you sir, are in a league of your own !!

What is the return of Berkshire Hathaway equity for the past 5 or 10 year. If you need cash you shouldn’t invest in any market.

joemontana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes, def conflict of interest. That does NOT > neccesarily mean that he was imploring people to > buy stock for his own benefit. > > You’re talking about a guy who lives frugally and > will leave virtually all his assets to charity. > The loss leaves him with about $40B more than he > needs. Leave virtually all his assets to charity? Foundations shield assets from taxes. His kids will be running the foundations “He also announced plans to contribute additional Berkshire stock valued at approximately $6.7 billion to the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation and to other foundations headed by his three children.”

projectplatnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Buffet told people to invest in US Equities for > the long term. He said he doesn’t know where the > markets will be in 6 months, or 1 year, but > thought there was value in US Equities. > > I don’t think he misled anyone and this statement > is still legitimate. #1 From what I read sold very out of the money S&P 500 put. Due to the current market, those put loss money that he will need to mark to market. #2"This is my personal account I’m talking about, in which I previously owned nothing but United States government bonds." A few blogs found this statement untrue. Either way I’m just saying his letter involved his self interest, it wasn’t a down to the heart letter to save the economy.

PtrainerNY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes… Buffet wrote a letter encouraging people to > buy stock… People took his words as gospel. There > was a conflict on interest which should of been > disclosed… The title of the article was “Buy American. I Am”. The disclosure was in the freaking title. Besides, anyone who needs an explicit disclosure to know WB has a vested interest in having the stock market go up needs their head examined.

The more I read about Buffett, the more I realize that the only thing that prevents him from being right nearly 100% of the time is the fact that his calls are too early. His investment record speaks for itself…He rightly ignored the tech bubble…He called CDOs/MBS and complex derivatives “financial weapons of mass destruction”, which turned out to be true…and said the dollar was going to go to shit even when Bush and his Treasury secretaries we’re pretending to have a “Strong dollar policy”.

cfafrank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What is the return of Berkshire Hathaway equity > for the past 5 or 10 year. If you need cash you > shouldn’t invest in any market. I was emailed this pdf today which shows Buffet underperformed the value index (which is suppose to be closest to his style) ending 2005 (for 10 yr period). I have uploaded it to my website for those interested. Yes i know the information is a little bit out of date… http://www.passivealpha.com/buffett.pdf

PtrainerNY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > projectplatnyc Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Buffet told people to invest in US Equities for > > the long term. He said he doesn’t know where > the > > markets will be in 6 months, or 1 year, but > > thought there was value in US Equities. > > > > I don’t think he misled anyone and this > statement > > is still legitimate. > > #1 From what I read sold very out of the money S&P > 500 put. Due to the current market, those put > loss money that he will need to mark to market. > > > #2"This is my personal account I’m talking about, > in which I previously owned nothing but United > States government bonds." > > A few blogs found this statement untrue. > > Either way I’m just saying his letter involved his > self interest, it wasn’t a down to the heart > letter to save the economy. Ok - is knowing Buffet’s self-interest really bad then anyway?

Fremantle Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfafrank Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > What is the return of Berkshire Hathaway equity > > for the past 5 or 10 year. If you need cash you > > shouldn’t invest in any market. > > > > I was emailed this pdf today which shows Buffet > underperformed the value index (which is suppose > to be closest to his style) ending 2005 (for 10 yr > period). > > I have uploaded it to my website for those > interested. Yes i know the information is a > little bit out of date… > > http://www.passivealpha.com/buffett.pdf So you mean driving a truck is as easy as driving a toyota yaris.

Just posted an interestig pdf that i came across. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions :slight_smile:

SeanC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i have finally figured it out, you’re a f*ckin > dickhead. > > I bet you got the shit kicked out of you plenty of > times when you were growing up. SeanC, no need to hold back, this is an anonymous internet board after all and you shouldn’t be so tactful…let loose! LOL.

Notice how I try to back up stuff with actual facts (big equity loss, sold long out of the money puts on S&P 500). For that I get curses rather then someone intelligently countering my argument.