Bush speech & An 80 points drop

maybe its what Bush didnt do…

Well, was there anything Bush didn’t do that couldn’t have been done by Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter, Ford, etc? My question is, if the whole world is in meltdown mode, then there are issues more fundamental to the entire economic system that act externally to George Bush. One could blame Bush for America’s problems, but they seem to coincide with a global recession, which seems to belie the idea that Bush is responsible for the situation. The question has already been possed–would the housing bubble not have occurred under Al Gore or John Kerry, or under John McCain had he won the nomination in 2000 or under anyone else? As a GSE employee, I’m on the very inside of this crisis–I’d argue that this would have happened no matter who was elected, that it’s an issue of 3 decades of bad public and private policy that snowballed in the last year. In additin, I’d argue the problems are exacerbated by bad timing as the world is also entering recession after a few years of expansion. I don’t believe it’s Bush’s fault. It was greed, stupidity, ignorance, and lack of foresight, not “bad Republican policy.”

C’mon kk. You don’t have to be a GOP cheerleader *all* the time. It must get a bit tedious after a while. Especially when you really don’t know enough to form a reasonable opinion.

I’m not EFFING cheerleading for Bush! I’m just tired of hearing about Bush this and Bush that with NO FACTS supporting the assertions. If you know so damn much, chrismaths, then SHOW ME SOME FACTS! Instead of criticizing me for partisanship, show me some goddamn facts! I don’t give a damn who is responsible, I want to understand IF A POLICY caused the situation, and not ONE of you people who accuse me of being a GOP cheerleader can point to ONE GOD DAMN THING that Bush did to “cause” the financial mess in the banking system. Let me be clear–I’m a CONSERVATIVE and Bush is NOT a conservative. Frankly, I’m not a fan of Bush but I grow weary of this shallow, false intellectualism that tersely and assertively point to Bush as the culprit when, in reality, that just isn’t true–and if it is, I’m more than willing to come around to that viewpoint if you give me some facts. Joey, chrismaths, rouhfish–when challenged, none of you have stepped up and showed me any facts, pointed to any policy decision made by Bush that has caused a simultaneous global recession.

Basically, quit making this personal about me. Who cares what I am–argue the facts.

I’m a conservative. So far in my 10 years of voting I’ve voted Conservative or UKIP all the way. However you pop every time one these debates appears trotting out a part line like some kind of junior Tucker Carlson. Just grow up and keep quiet for a while. Those CAPITALS are making me deaf. Nothing personal.

If memory serves me correctly, wasn’t Franklin Raines (former CEO of Fannie forced to resign in Dec. 04 following an accounting scandal) a top official in the Clinton Administration and isn’t he a current economic advisor to Obama? Ya, its definitely all Bush’s fault.

Kk, I think Joey is not 100% serious about all these things caused by Bush, they are just tongue-in-cheek comments. I certainly dislike Bush as a politician, his foregn policy was disastrous, and many of his political choices are just unthinkable - yet on economic policy, he is probably not directly responsible for what is currently occuring. Just like tech bubble of the late 90s, credit bubble of 2000s was mostly a failure caused by the the market players. Sure, government could have interfered, but it is easier to argue that in the foresight. Despite all, I am quite satisfied with Paulson reaction so far. I am glad that he is not just some "free market ‘cause that’s what I belive’ political hack - what he did was not great for anybody, but it had to be done.

GoVols Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If memory serves me correctly, wasn’t Franklin > Raines (former CEO of Fannie forced to resign in > Dec. 04 following an accounting scandal) a top > official in the Clinton Administration and isn’t > he a current economic advisor to Obama? Ya, its > definitely all Bush’s fault. We got it! It’s Clinton’s fault! Boo-Yah! kent, you’re throwing up a giant strawman. It’s incredibly tough to form an A->B->C chain that leads from Bush to the current situation. In any scenario, of course it’s not entirely his fault, or even largely his fault. As someone pointed out, one could easily argue it’s a combination things he did do and things he didn’t that contributed to this mess. The bottom line is, the ship is sinking, and the captain goes down with the ship. Let’s play the game my way. Show me everything he didn’t do that didn’t do the housing crisis. Then everything that’s not on that list, minus the list of stuff he did do (assuming nothing he did lead to this mess in any way) would be your list of stuff. Got that? And I did the whole post without using any words in all caps.

NakedPuts: I am not placing blame. kk asked for facts so I submitted one that I think is relevant, especially considering Raines is one of Obama’s top economic advisors. I admint that you can’t place the blame for this mess on any one person, especially a president. The bottom line is that for a great number of reasons, the marketplace dramatically underpriced risk for many borrowers. People like kk and myself just get sick of everything being Bush’s fault according to the libs. I’m just tryin to show my conservative cohort some support.