Business Casual Attire

Need a quick advice, is it OK to attend a meeting with suit and tie where, the dress code says casual business attire? Does “Business Casual Attire” means minimum? Do I look like a clown if I wear a suit and tie?

I’d go no tie if you’re set on a suit.

Just wear a button down shirt and slacks. Don’t wear a suit. They said it’s business casual, so roll with business casual. I love wearing suits as much as the next guy, but even I look at people at these events that roll in with a suit and I think to myself, “I guess those guys didn’t get the memo…”

thanks, that what I was thinking actually, i guess it’s ok not to wear a tie on a suit on friday

I don’t think you should ever wear a suit without a tie. I understand why some people do it – if you’re a celebrity, you can probably pull it off – but for most of us “normal guys,” we’re much better off wearing a sportcoat and slacks than suit sans tie.

In an interview, it’s ok to be suited up; that’s expected. If it’s just a “meeting,” and nothing else is on your agenda, then be business casual too. That doesn’t mean you have to be in a polo shirt and khakis. Button down, blazer, tie is fine. If you have another meeting that day where a suit is appropriate, then you can wear the suit to your earlier meeting. If they say “wow, you are overdressed,” you point out that the suit is for another engagement, and you’re just happy you had the opportunity to be with your them (the biz-casual guys) too.

thanks numi, a bit more detail, i have two meetings in NYC in the morning and this event is in the afternoon same day so I was confused and i don’t wanna carry another set of clothes with me. guess i’ll be one of those people who didn’t get the memo ugh.

bchad you are a mind reader man

I always err on the side of dressing too formally. You may look like you didn’t get the memo, but you’ll never look like a shlub. Worst comes to worst, your the classiest looking guy there. In your case - suit, tie in jacket pocket so you can audible your wardrobe.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think you should ever wear a suit without > a tie. I understand why some people do it – if > you’re a celebrity, you can probably pull it off > – but for most of us “normal guys,” we’re much > better off wearing a sportcoat and slacks than > suit sans tie. agreed. If you want to wear a suit with no tie go the sports coat route for sure. you can still feel professional and no one will think “who the f does this guy think he is, shia Le D” or something

CPAbeatsCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I don’t think you should ever wear a suit > without > > a tie. I understand why some people do it – if > > you’re a celebrity, you can probably pull it > off > > – but for most of us “normal guys,” we’re much > > better off wearing a sportcoat and slacks than > > suit sans tie. > > agreed. If you want to wear a suit with no tie go > the sports coat route for sure. you can still > feel professional and no one will think “who the f > does this guy think he is, shia Le D” or something F* that, shia le d wears suits with no shirts or drawers!