business venture

Been thinking randomly about this idea that got into my head. Feel free to shoot me down. I have some skills and knowledge which isnt mainstream finance/investment. I was thinking I need two partners to start a business. I need someone who has awesome programming skills. This guy will do our programming. I will put the calculations on paper (my specialized knowledge) and he/she will make a program from it. I need another person who is our marketing guy. He is an outgoing in-your-face former trader guy. He loves making cold calls. He has a good network, good people skills. So how this has competitive advantage is that I have some cutting edge crazy ideas. Also, our models will be user friendly. Our programmer will give us the edge here. We may even allow the client to buy the complete model from us and they will be able to play around with it. We dont need a lot of money to start off. We hope to make our first sale in a conservative 6 months. We split the costs and profits. We will be continuously updating our models based on market conditions and regulatory changes so business is recurring. Our target market is institutional clients. Start with small to mid market and expand to large.

sounds good so far these things take a lot more perspiration than expected - I think your marketing guy will have to work really hard in this environment unless your models are jumping off of the page to clients.

How are you going to prevent someone like BB from copying your work and making a screen of it. I love the entrepreneurial streak, but am not sure how you’re going to protect your competitive advantage. I’ve got a CS degree and program analysis/accounting tools all day every day. Whilst studying for L2, I have no free time to offer you, but if you’d like some more color, or a more detailed opinion on the technical aspects, I’d be happy to share. Post an email address. I’d give you one of mine, but both have my full name.

dlpicket, i cant disclose more on here but basically the modeling that i do involves certain calculations that are actuarial in nature. my competitive advantage would be low prices, and more dynamic models. the models i see in the industry at the moment are very cookie cutter type of models. also, this is just a dream as of now. i would love to have this set up somewhere with nice weather like Fl or Ca, or even Tx.

needhelp, What will the end product look like? A web app, library, etc? I’m interested and will email you to discuss.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- Will you be able to prove that this model yields better investment results? I think that would be important. > dlpicket, i cant disclose more on here but > basically the modeling that i do involves certain > calculations that are actuarial in nature. my > competitive advantage would be low prices, and > more dynamic models. the models i see in the > industry at the moment are very cookie cutter type > of models. > > also, this is just a dream as of now. i would love > to have this set up somewhere with nice weather > like Fl or Ca, or even Tx. > >

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > needhelp Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > Will you be able to prove that this model yields > better investment results? I think that would be > important. > > > > dlpicket, i cant disclose more on here but > > basically the modeling that i do involves > certain > > calculations that are actuarial in nature. my > > competitive advantage would be low prices, and > > more dynamic models. the models i see in the > > industry at the moment are very cookie cutter > type > > of models. > > > > also, this is just a dream as of now. i would > love > > to have this set up somewhere with nice weather > > like Fl or Ca, or even Tx. > > > > Its not a model to generate returns. its a risk model. i like risk more than return. what i will be asking myself to prove is that the forecasts from this model will clearly show risks associated with certain businesses of a client, how to mitigate those risks and how to shape investment policy in light of those risks.