Business Week CFA Article

I just saw this article on Business Week. No real new information for anyone on this forum, but it’s nice to see the CFA popping up in business articles and gaining more recognition. http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/apr2011/bs20110426_844533.htm oh, and of course the first question in the Q&A: CFA vs. MBA?

“the average age of test takers was 30”… much higher than i would have guessed

What’s wrong with this statement? Thomas Robinson (CFA Institute Managing Director): “To become a CFA, you need to pass three exams.” Apparently CFAI executives don’t follow CFAI’s idiotic rules either.

Eh, did they pre-screen these questions or what? It’s pretty much an advertisement.

Wendy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What’s wrong with this statement? > > Thomas Robinson (CFA Institute Managing Director): > “To become a CFA, you need to pass three exams.” > > Apparently CFAI executives don’t follow CFAI’s > idiotic rules either. The editor may have taken some liberties with the awkward “charterholder” language. You cant assume that is a direct quote.

Nice to see my former University of Miami prof (Tom Robinson) getting some ink in BW!

goes to eleven Wrote: > The editor may have taken some liberties with the > awkward “charterholder” language. You cant assume > that is a direct quote. Well, maybe so. But in any case, since the CFAI executives apparently can’t be bothered to ensure that they are quoted using proper CFAIspeak in a national publication, I suddenly feel even less obligation to observe their ridiculous language rules in day-to-day usage.

was pretty funny to read that and see ethics violations all over the place…

I bet someone who doesn’t know the rules wrote or at least edited the article after the CFA guy.

There was a similar thread like this over a year ago, but the article quoted a charter-holder and messed up the CFA description. The guy who was quoted is an AF member, and he explained the magazine took liberty with his quotes and CFA designation. So the guy asked them to change it, but they refused. In the end, I think he let the CFAI know or something in case someone reports it as a violation.

if the Institute ever revoked someone’s charter or even sanctioned them for using CFA as a noun in a printed article, i would likely disassociate

“You are not allowed to put the CFA designation after your name until you’ve completed all three exams and agree to abide by the code and standards.” Guess the experience requirement is out the window too. Also check out the comments after the article that seem to further validate the typical CFA candidate today…