CAIA designation

Anyone have any experience w/ the CAIA? I was looking on their website and the content and readings actually sound pretty interesting - are the exams anywhere near as intense as CFA? I was reading the FAQs and it’s pretty awesome that the formula sheet is included as an “exhibit” during the exam… any insights would be greatly appreciated!

I’d assume marginal benefit not that great. Get the CFA.

It is useful to distinguish yourself in a pack of CFAs. If you have a CFA, then it makes sense to add FRM, CAIA etc. If you don’t have CFA, you should focus on CFA. If you have no hope of getting a CFA, then try alternates like CFP, CAIA, FRM…

I AM TAKING IT IN 2 WEEKS. I PASSED LEVEL 1 CFA IN JUNE AND WANT TO ADD THE CAIA BEFORE LEVEL 2 ROLLS AROUND. ALL THE INFO YOU NEED IS ON THE SITE – I PERSONALLY THINK IT IS WORTH IT, GIVEN THE BOOM IN PREVIATE EQUITY AND HEDGE FUNDS THAT WE ARE SEEING (MAYBE HURT NOW, BUT IT WILL NOT GO AWAY)

daj, how is the CAIA designation viewed as in the market??? You are taking it in 2 weeks, i am assuming u must have done some research on how private equity and hedge funds view it ???

I obtained the CAIA charter two years ago. At the time, people had absolutely no clue what it was. Today, I find there is more of an awareness, but only amongst hedge fund types. Regular Joe working in finance still has no clue here(in Canada) what it is. But I do notice that they are making great strides in promoting the charter(ads in Bloomberg magazine, etc) I found the material very interesting, so as a complement to the CFA it won`t hurt.

Thanks guys - I am a L3 candidate but have a strong interest in hedge funds and CAIA sounds like a good way to learn all about them…

Is it really not related in any way to the CFA Insitute?

Not related to CFA, EXCEPT that they have obtained permission to use the CFA ethics books as their reading source for the Ethics section.