CAIA with no finance background

Hey guys,

Wanted to see if there was anyone else on here that took CAIA or CFA with zero financial background.

I have been working for about 5 years as an economist focusing primarilly on timber and renewable energy. I have an MS in Environmental and Natural Resource Economics - what I would broadly consider applied microeconomics. I took one MBA elective class in financial accounting but that is all of my formal financial education.

I have gotten more and more interested in finance as I have done some consulting and due dilligence work for renewable energy projects. I started looking into CAIA as a way to learn a lot about finance very quickly. The ciriculum seemed to fit my areas of interest very well. I work in timber and forest products (real assets and commodities) and have done work for PE and VC firms for renewable energy projects. I see CAIA as a way to potentially expand on consulting and due dilligence offerings at my current position or as a springboard into a firm that works in one of the areas where I have a lot of experience (TIMOs, timber REITs, renewable energy focused PE funds, etc.).

I am currently using Kaplan for the exam prep. So far I have found that if I try to test an area that I havent studied yet I literally know nothing, but do fairly well after the material is covered. I have always been a good standardized test taker so I hope that helps. What do you guys think about how important a financial background is for these types of designations. I am sure there is going to be a random question that Kaplan didnt cover that will seem easy to some folks with a generalized business degree from a 100 level udnergrad class and I will have no clue, but overall I think this is do-able. I sure hope so considering I shelled out of pocket for this endeavor :wink:

You will be fine. Just put in the time and be disciplined.

It is perfectly possible start the preparation without finance background; the materials will give you the knowledge you need. But I think you must do an extra effort to assimilate all the content necessary to succeed in the exams. My recommendtion is to use the CAIA official books and try to do as many questions as you can.