Calculating reinvestment income

From Kaplan:

Jane Walker has set a 7% yield as the goal for the bond portion of her portfolio. To achieve this goal, she has purchased a 7%, 15-year corporate bond at a discount price of 93.50. What amount of reinvestment income will she need to earn over this 15-year period to achieve a compound return of 7% on a semiannual basis?

Forum

My Kaplan QuickSheet Fixed Income section doesn’t give a formula for such a problem. What does the $2,624 represent?

The future value of the initial investment, should it achieve a BEY of 7% for 15 years.

30 = N, I/Y = 3.5, PV = -935, PMT = 35, FV = ? My calculator computes FV = 817.55. :thinking:

The TVM buttons on your calculator are cash flow buttons. I’d like you to describe, in words, the cash flows that your TVM entries represent. I’ll get you started:

• At time t = 0, I deposit 935 into an account that earns 3.5% interest every 6 months.

Over to you.

I see. Now I have PMT = 0 and therefore FV = 2,624.

The 3.5% interest earned every 6 months isn’t distributed, i.e. a PMT = $35 every 6 months. The $35 is compounded back into the growth of the original $935, correct?

1 Like

Exactly!

You’re getting good at this stuff.

Thank you; slowly but surely.