calculations of PV,FV,IRR,NPV...etc

im reading through the CFAi books…reading number 5 and 6 and they give all these formulas for PV,FV, discount rate, IRR, NPV blah blah… is it necessary to memorize all of them if i know how to do the problems on my financial calculator? the reading 5 questions in the Appendix stated how to do in in the calculator… i dont wanna waste my time trying to remember all them by their formulas when i already know how to do them a different way. is there any questions on the test that might need the formulas not the calculator? thanks.

If you can do it in the financial calculator, you should do fine.

CFAI text explains these concepts & formulae better than Schweser… Schweser tells you how to use the calculator though… I have done a bit of both…

njblain, it so happens that those NPV questions were the few that required the use of the calculator when I did the exam last dec…

when I was at that readings, I was thinking use this formula to calculate my own stock and business investment, it’s a fun for me to figure out how much my investment worth today. try to join the boring and plain formula, concept with my real life keeps me studying.