Calculator battery - change now or chance it?

Still on the same battery from level 1, so a couple years now. I could change the battery this week and risk some setting changing that I didn’t even know existed and scew up all my calculations. OR, chance it and realize that there is a tiny probability of my calculator actually running out of juice during the exam. Usually I am a chill person with few worries, but this time of year I start to play out all these b.s. irrational scenarios.

ha ha…i am in a same boat. last month, my calc(hp 12c) started showing an asterix on the panel…i.e. batt low. but it has disappeared now. i’m taking a chance. this battery had taken me thru L1 and 2.

I’m changing mine tonight and bringing an extra calculator. Not aware of any settings other than beginning of period/end of period discounting that could affect any calculations you would have to do. I use an HP 12c, so not sure about setting on a TI.

I am not changing, they should last for a few good years. but I might bring a spare one

I am taking two calculators with me. I don’t want to bother changing the batter. Both my calculators have been running on the same batteries for the last 5 years. I can’t image them dying out on that particular day.

I always replace the battery a couple of days before so I make sure I didn’t put in a dud, then I bring a spare battery with me on exam day. I always laugh at the people with two calculators (although, I like showing up with like 40 pencils, and I’ve never used more than 3!). If I have to change my battery during the exam, I’ll be sure to make a lot of noise doing it!

For L1 I saw a Chinese girl with FOUR Texas BA2 calculators. Honestly.

Before the exam I would’ve loved to run up behind her and yelled “GOOD LUCK” really loudly! She’d have that reflex where you splay your arms out and her calculators would go flying!! I mean, someone like that has GOT to be tightly wound… Good times.

Mandelbrot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For L1 I saw a Chinese girl with FOUR Texas BA2 > calculators. Honestly. LMAO

I’ve decided to go long on a psychological call option and only bring one calculator, so I have something to blame if things don’t turn out.

clueless555 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am taking two calculators with me. I don’t want > to bother changing the batter. Both my calculators > have been running on the same batteries for the > last 5 years. I can’t image them dying out on that > particular day. Then, this what will happen, they both gonna on Saturday @9:05AM.:slight_smile:

I’d try to borrow a second calculator from a coworker and practice a little on the second one.

I have a spare battery with me, never had to use it, though, the thing seems to last pretty well. My BA II Pro has a simple way of replacing it. Piece of cake, will only take a second, don’t need a screw driver.

I remember during Level 1, a kid taking the exam showed up with a TI-82 (graphing calculator). They wouldn’t let him use it of course and so he took the morning exam without any calculator… I remember him coming back from the break with a new BAII still in the hard plastic and unsure of how the heck to use it…

sterling76 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I always replace the battery a couple of days > before so I make sure I didn’t put in a dud, then > I bring a spare battery with me on exam day. I > always laugh at the people with two calculators > (although, I like showing up with like 40 pencils, > and I’ve never used more than 3!). If I have to > change my battery during the exam, I’ll be sure to > make a lot of noise doing it! you must be really paranoid to change the battery AND bring another new one. as for pencils I always laugh when I see that

I just took my study break and went to office depot to get batteries and pens and pencils Inventory for Saturday. Leave in Car----cell phone Backpack to leave in belongings room (Secret Sauce, Quicksheet and Box Lunch) Exam Room 2 Hp 12c calculators 5 mechanical pencils 4 pens (went out and got ones with the cushion tops, tried doing a mock with a bic and my hand is killling me—ballpoint not gel… passport expires April 2010 exam ticket (clean copy) verified location of test center don’t mean to be redudant, but with all the stories on the forum gotta double check…too much time invested and money as well to take any chances.