Calculator Frustration

To those using the BA II Plus: (Maybe this is just common sense or stupidity on my part), but has anybody found out that they have to verify the numbers (and decimal) that were punched in before using +, -, x, etc.? For example, finding the standard deviation of a 2-asset portfolio. I have all the correct numbers and as I’m reading them off my notepad, I’m entering them into the calculator, but I guess I don’t punch a button hard enough and it misses that number, and I don’t verify the number entered before moving on, and I end up with the wrong calculation, wasting valuable time. I guess the resolution is to verify the numbers entered before hitting the next key pad…

Yeah, the keys are terrible.

I’m assuming there’s nothing that can be done, OTHER, than verifying before moving on…

same here - i have to constantly monitor the input. luckily, we won’t have to use the calculator much on exam day

I didn’t have any key prob with BA II plus but I find the pro version finger aching. The keys are hard but once you press, it does register though. You might prefer that one. S

Buy an HP-12c, much better machine.

i’m bringing bot the pro and regular to the exam. the regular is my main one and will only use the pro for the few added functions (discounted payback, nfv, etc)

I think it means you haven’t done enough practice problems and used the calculator enough.

my problem isn’t really pushing the keys hard enough, but pressing them too fast so a number here or there won’t register.

saurya_s Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I didn’t have any key prob with BA II plus but I > find the pro version finger aching. The keys are > hard but once you press, it does register though. > You might prefer that one. > S I bought this one and have been happy with it. The BA II Plus though has very unreliable keys where as the Pro is much more reliable.

I used a BAII Plus and was happy with it. At first, the keys on the BAII Plus Professional seemed really way too hard at press, but I got used (it also weights a lot more). Now, my old BAII Plus seems so unreliable :slight_smile: because the keys are so easy at press, numbers seem so faded on the screen, and I love the professional for the supplementary functions.

map1, you might be right. I have been using BA II plus as my main calc and use pro as standby. so I am just not used to the pro version yet. What supplementary functions from the pro version are useful for the exam ? S

Duration!:slight_smile:

How hard is it to get use to RPN and is it worth the effort?

Ahh how i remember the crap keys on the BAII plus! I’m surprised the CFAI hasn’t pushed TI to implement a sturdier design. So many times I tried punching in keys in rapid succession only to have half of them show up… Or how about trying to input a formula while the calculator slides around the table??? After 3 levels i just got used to it. I make sure to hold my calculator down and punch numbers slowly and firmly.

map, what duration does it calculate- effective, macaulay, modified ? I will go thru the process. S

roibiz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How hard is it to get use to RPN and is it worth > the effort? I switched to RPN in high school. Took about 30 minutes and rids you of order of operations and parentheses for life. Of course, since I am permanently attached to one computer or other, I haven’t used a calculator in 10 yrs.

This topic is 13 year old, and zero improvement on the calculator. I came from a science background and use Casio which allows me to type much faster with both hands. Not just speed but BAII Plus’s key recognition ability is poor, it does not recognise multiplication vs addition order, and constantly misses input. It is quite poor that the manufacturer is not putting in effort to improve it. In my view, the CFA should allow students to use other certified calculators, such as Casio which is acknowledged by most if not all educational bodies (university / high school official exams).

I have never experienced this with my BAII Plus (Basic version). The BAII Professional keys are hard and may miss inputs, but not the Basic one.