Calculator - HP 12c Platinum or Regular

since I just learned that my HP 10BII calculator is not permitted for the test, is there a benefit to buying the platinum over the regular version of the 12c (aside from unfortunate loss of the pimp look associated with the gold 12c)? It seems as if there might be more stats functions with the 12c Platinum. Is this the case? Thanks!

Get the Platinum Anniversary Edition. It’s the best HP you can use for the test. It’s faster than the other 2. The speed of the calc doesn’t really matter though since you’ll only have to use it like 20-30x throughout the day.

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Get the Platinum Anniversary Edition. It’s the > best HP you can use for the test. It’s faster than > the other 2. The speed of the calc doesn’t really > matter though since you’ll only have to use it > like 20-30x throughout the day. Yes, it’s reliable & will most likely not break down during the test and will probably last until you retire in som 40+ years…

what makes it “better” than the standard one. I could care less that it’s the “platinum” edition, i just want to know if it offers a distinct advantage over the “base” level calculator. Thanks. P.S. Just finishing up ethics now (4 days) and moving onto the meat of the exam.

platinum is obviously better, don’t you listen to rap music?!

I just told you why it’s better. I have both a gold one and platinum anniversary. The anniversary is better because: 1. It’s faster. Solving for the interest rate for a 30 year bond will take 30 seconds+ on the gold one, and 3 seconds on the platinum anniversary 2. The buttons feel better on the platinum anniversary than the newer gold ones. 3. There are more functions on the platinum anniversary. 4. There is more memory for programming on the platinum anniversary 5. When I bought mine, it was about $10 less than the gold one. 6. The buttons are more legible on the platinum anniversary Are these enough reasons for you? Do some research. Also, notice I keep mentioning the Platinum Anniversary edition and not the Platinum edition. There are 2 different platinum ones in addition to the gold one. I used the TI BAII Pro for L1, but picked up a 12c after the exam because: 1. Looks cooler than the BAII 2. You can punch in numbers much faster than the BAII 3. It’s smaller 4. It is the finance standard and used by all the pros But functionally, the TI-BAII Pro is actually better than the HP simply because it is faster (1-2 second calcs vs. 3-5 second calcs on the HP12CPAE) and has a couple more functions (DPB, nCr, nPr).

tvPM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > platinum is obviously better, don’t you listen to > rap music?! this was the OBVIOUS answer…I’m such an idiot!

For some reason I thought that the platinum HP you could choose between regular botton pushing and RPN, but gold version was only rpn…did I make that up? I went with the BA II PLUS and have been happy though.

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Get the Platinum Anniversary Edition. It’s the > best HP you can use for the test. It’s faster than > the other 2. The speed of the calc doesn’t really > matter though since you’ll only have to use it > like 20-30x throughout the day. Wait…how could you only need to use the calculator 20-30x during the day on this exam? I would assume that you would need it for 100/120 questions…what am i missing here?

jrbbikerx Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wait…how could you only need to use the > calculator 20-30x during the day on this exam? > > I would assume that you would need it for 100/120 > questions…what am i missing here? A much greater part of the exam is conceptual (i.e. no plug and chug) than you realize.

platinum is faster. I sleep with it every night (not joking)

For the HP12C Platinum 25th Anniversary Edition, you can shift the calculator from RPN mode (reverse keypad logic) to ALG mode (normal keypad logic).