Calculator Question

I passed levels I and II ages ago ('97 and '98) but never took level III because of a subsequent career path. I’m planning on taking level III in '09. I used the 12c on levels I and II and became very comfortable with RPN, etc. But, I lost my 12c a few years ago (2003 maybe) and replaced it with a BA-II. My question is whether calculator choice really matters for level III. I remember doing a lot of calculations for level I and not so much for level II.

All that really matters is that you know how to use the calculator you have. If you used the 12c, you probably got used to RPN, which I like a lot. On the other hand, if you don’t care about RPN or not, the TIBA is cheaper. Oh, and of course, if the battery runs out during the exam, you’ll need a screwdriver to replace them. Fortunately, CFAI lets you have screwdrivers on your desk… just don’t have kleenex or anything dangerous like that. I pity the poor sod who loses 2 minutes of time unscrewing those screws on their TIBA to replace the battery.

i used my calculator a lot less on level III. i’m sure your old one is fine. of course it’s only like $40 to get a new one.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I pity the poor sod who loses 2 minutes of time > unscrewing those screws on their TIBA to replace > the battery. Just to clarify - I own three TIBA’s. Can I bring all of them?

You could, but people will laugh at you.

Lots of people bring extra TIBAs. That’s a lot more sensible than bringing a screwdriver.

A guy next to me brought 2 TIs and an HP. He wasn’t the only one, though most just brought 2 TIs.

I also have 3 TIs (and 2 HPs) - students somehow keep forgetting them in my office. But I only brought two, since 3 is over the top. You could probably make some $$ at the exam selling the extra one or two, since someone always seems to forget his/hers.

are desk clocks allowed?

sure man, i brought my own clock too last time http://www.clockworks.org/9030.htm itstoohot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > are desk clocks allowed?

fxl Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sure man, > > i brought my own clock too last time > > http://www.clockworks.org/9030.htm > it looks pretty cool dude!! so when it hits 12, my fellow test takers can hear it and stop writing, nice.

I brought a small gps radio shack digital clock and they told me to put it under my chair. Best bet, get a cheap digital watch. Don’t be cheat with the CFA orgnization. The designation is relatively inexpensive when compared to graduate schools (time excluded). Buy a HP or TI. I actually have at least 5 HPs lying around. Not that I will sell them. My favorite is my beat up one. I used that one to pass the CFA exams. When you choose a calculator, know how to use it. I don’t think that I can use a calculator other than the 12c.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You could, but people will laugh at you. Well, let them laugh if I sell #3 to the guy with the dead batteries for $100

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Lots of people bring extra TIBAs. That’s a lot > more sensible than bringing a screwdriver. lol so true