calculator

Hi all, I am new to this site. I am taking level 1 in June. are you allowed to use a financial calculator on the exam

Not any longer. People were hacking into their TIs and HPs, so the Institute has now banned them. You now have to do NPV and IRR calculations by hand! Just kidding.

Check the cfai website for approved calculator models. Unfortunately,none of the approved models have a 2-line display which makes things a bit difficult.

The TI takes maybe 5 minutes to learn.

The TI over the HP for sure!

beatthecfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The TI over the HP for sure! Fa sho.

i liked what robert said until the ‘just kidding’ part.

True CFA holders do the calculation in their mind with no scratch paper

I prefer the HP myself, I’ve used the TI extensively however, reverse polish notation (HP) is by far more efficient in calculations than standard algebraic(TI).

I prefer the HP as well. The RPN looks difficult at the beginning but when you make practice - it’s pretty easy and fast to make any calculations. RPN is similar to the way you calculate in your mind - so I highly recommend you this calculator. By the way, having HP 12c Platinum you can always choose algebraic or RPN - so If you can’t manage with RPN you can always change to algerbaic. best regard, Marcin (very happy HP12c Platinum user :wink:

A had a problem with the internet connection - please delete it.

A had a problem with the internet connection - please delete it.

One thing to note: if you are going to use Schweser, most of the step by step instructions are for the TI.

I’m an HP fan. RPN is a much better way to go when you have nested calculations (and there are plenty). You never have to use parenthesis as you do with a TI. It’s a thinking person’s calculator – sort of like being a CFA charterholder.

gunger Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > One thing to note: if you are going to use > Schweser, most of the step by step instructions > are for the TI. Therefore I use Stalla - there are calculations for both: TI and HP :wink: best regards, Marcin

You guys are playing up this Schweser thing way too much! While it says TI BA instructions, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that N, I, PV, FV, and PMT etc. buttons do the same thing on both calculators! RPN is way better for complex problems…i’ve used RPN, the HP12C and Platinum for Levels 1 and 2 and would have a very hard time recommending the TI without RPN to any CFA canidate. Not because it is a bad tool, just that RPN is that much more efficient!

UpNAdam Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I prefer the HP myself, I’ve used the TI > extensively however, reverse polish notation (HP) > is by far more efficient in calculations than > standard algebraic(TI). —> Here’s a link for anyone who hasn’t decided yet and want to check it out: http://www.epx.com.br/ctb/hp12c.php

Depends on your personality: - TI is for engineer-types who rule the quant-side - HP is for investment banker-types who eat Corporate Finance for breakfast