Calculus 1 & 2

I never took Calculus in Highschool or College b/c I sucked at Algebra etc… However, ever since I took the GMAT and did some trig on my own time I feel I have mastered these areas… Anyway, I was told that Calculus is pretty essential for higher levels in finance and for B. School. I can’t seem to find any colleges in NYC w/ Calculus 1 or 2 as a continuing studies course… just Business Calculus, which I have been told to avoid. Any ideas…???

community college?

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I never took Calculus in Highschool or College b/c > I sucked at Algebra etc… However, ever since I > took the GMAT and did some trig on my own time I > feel I have mastered these areas… > > Anyway, I was told that Calculus is pretty > essential for higher levels in finance and for B. > School. > > I can’t seem to find any colleges in NYC w/ > Calculus 1 or 2 as a continuing studies course… > just Business Calculus, which I have been told to > avoid. > > Any ideas…??? Just look for a local community college. It doesn’t matter where you take it, as long as you understand it, so you can apply it in a business setting.

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I never took Calculus in Highschool or College b/c > I sucked at Algebra etc… However, ever since I > took the GMAT and did some trig on my own time I > feel I have mastered these areas… > > Anyway, I was told that Calculus is pretty > essential for higher levels in finance and for B. > School. > > I can’t seem to find any colleges in NYC w/ > Calculus 1 or 2 as a continuing studies course… > just Business Calculus, which I have been told to > avoid. > > Any ideas…??? You can take calc at BMCC (community college) or Baruch. Or you could even take calc classes on-line for free – if you do an internet search you’ll see that some schools post this stuff on-line.

I took both in high school.

CFABLACKBELT - I really think CC is the way to go, there is really no reason for someone looking for entry level course for personal development to fork up 4 figures to take it at a top tier uni extension (unless maybe your company is paying). If you go CC you’re looking at a minimum investment and flexible schedule. You might go the Baruch if you’re thinking it might give you a foot up in the app’s process for MBA, but even then I’d just do the CC route. NakedPuts- I’m so proud of you :slight_smile: I was captain of the swim team!!

Seems I may have found the answer… what do you guys think??? http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/cat/course597.html

are you sure you are really comfortable w/ no classroom instruction? This is a jump from MBA trig… just consider it. If you’re the type that is confident is self-directed study go for it, especially if you have some recourses for face-to-face help when/if needed.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-01Fall-2006/CourseHome/index.htm

Why not just pick up any random text book and learn it? I think I’ve taught Calc about 20 times and I always wondered what the heck I was adding. I draw pictures on the board that are worse than the book. I solve problems that are just like the ones solved in the book (and in countless other calc books). I tell very humorous jokes but nobody laughs. Honestly, Calc I - III are just not very hard to learn on your own.

I’m looking for two things. Most important is learning it. But I need some sort of credit that I took it so when I apply to B-schools, they know I did it.

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m looking for two things. > > Most important is learning it. But I need some > sort of credit that I took it so when I apply to > B-schools, they know I did it. I agree. Both of those are important especially if your GPA needs to get better.

Check out these books: 1. Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus P. Thompson, Martin Gardner 2. How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide by Colin Adams, Joel Hass, Abigail Thompson. 3. Schaum’s Outline of Calculus 5ed by Elliott Mendelson, Frank Ayres

abacus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Check out these books: > > 1. Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus P. Thompson, > Martin Gardner > 2. How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide by > Colin Adams, Joel Hass, Abigail Thompson. > 3. Schaum’s Outline of Calculus 5ed by Elliott > Mendelson, Frank Ayres Along those lines I would also recommend “Goodnight Moon”, and if you get a chance “Danny and the Dinosaur”.

Haha thanks all.

Why were you told to avoid business calculus? When I took it, it was just regular calculus without all the trig, which finance people don’t need anyway.

Can’t really go wrong with “Calculus” by James Stewart If you look in certain places you can find a free pdf copy of it abacus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Check out these books: > > 1. Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus P. Thompson, > Martin Gardner > 2. How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide by > Colin Adams, Joel Hass, Abigail Thompson. > 3. Schaum’s Outline of Calculus 5ed by Elliott > Mendelson, Frank Ayres

Calculus by Spivak (get the solutions manual too). It’s more theoretical than most, but it should be fine for any adult with some general smarts.