Calculus 2-4

mo: WHat is your background & education? I know you have a CFA (you passed LIII the same year I did) and an FRM. I thought you had a Phd

he has a phd engineering (and used to be a prof), but i’d imagine that what he’d be doing in applied math would be on new topics different from his field. mo34’s a true lover of knowledge, which is admirable and refreshing when dealing with people who measure someone’s worth by salary, institution of education, and physical attractiveness.

buyicide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo: > > WHat is your background & education? I know you > have a CFA (you passed LIII the same year I did) > and an FRM. I thought you had a Phd Buycide, yes I have a Ph.D in Aerospace Engineering. I probably took enough graduate math classes to get a MA in Math., but the program I’m applying to has a Computer Science/Numerical Analysis option which makes it attractive (I am trying to become a better C++ programmer and nothing beats solving PDEs numerically to practice this stuff). Plus it’s one day per week in the evening for two years which is not a big deal in terms of classroom time commitment.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > he has a phd engineering (and used to be a prof), > but i’d imagine that what he’d be doing in applied > math would be on new topics different from his > field. > > mo34’s a true lover of knowledge, which is > admirable and refreshing when dealing with people > who measure someone’s worth by salary, institution > of education, and physical attractiveness. throw it in the bag!!

Mo: Are you working as an engineer now? Are you in finance? Just curious.

buyicide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Mo: > > Are you working as an engineer now? Are you in > finance? Just curious. I worked one year in engineering. Then worked in finance for 3 years, then I took a university teaching job for two years, finally moved back to finance in 2006. I get bored quickly so I have to keep myself challenged and motivated. I have been in my current job for 3 years, it’s a personal record :).

whats this one day a week evening program?

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > whats this one day a week evening program? 2 classes per semester for 6 semesters. total 12 classes. Cal State - Fullerton MA in Applied math. http://math.fullerton.edu/framesets/degree_sets/graduate_set.htm

Applied Mathematics Option For those interested in applied mathematics, the Department of Mathematics, offers the following courses in applied mathematics: Mathematics 489A,B Applicable Analysis and Linear Algebra (3,3) Mathematics 501A,B Numerical Analysis and Computation I and II (3,3) Mathematics 502A,B Probability and Statistics I and II (3,3) Mathematics 503A,B Mathematical Modeling I and II (3,3) Mathematics 504A,B Simulation Modeling and Analysis (3,3) Mathematics 597 Project (6) These courses were developed in consultation with mathematicians and scientists in the local industrial community and are specifically intended for individuals who are seeking positions, or who currently hold positions, which involve mathematics or quantitative applications. The subject matter emphasizes modern practical applied mathematics, modeling, problem solving and computation. The culminating experience is a project in which students have the opportunity of working in teams on a real problem, contracted and paid for by a local industrial firm. All classes are scheduled in the evening and can be taken in sequence in two calendar years, summers included.

cool, but not sure that you’ll be doing that much C++/numerical solving of PDEs? do you have 504B in mind. also it doesnt seem very focused on applications to financial math, but is rather general with topic in biology, mechanics, etc.

have you guys checked out MIT open courseware? Its amazing. You don’t get a transript, but you can learn all you want for free.

^ yeah, MIT open courseware is awesome

See this is why this site is good. Great topic. Great information. I had difficulty with calc in undergrad. I did not spend enough time on it and I had teribble teachers and TA’s to boot but I got through I never knew these resource existed, they never did when I went to school. Oh as to they distance ed thing. I had never taken a distance ed course until now. I have to say they are much more difficult than I thought. It seems easier if I have a scheduled class to go to.

I wish I took the whole calc sequence in undergrad, but I barely got through Calc I, and that by mostly learning the tricks so I could pass the exam. I read somewhere that your brain does not reach maturity until 24 - perhaps I just was not ready at 19. I remember my professor telling us that he did not understand calculus until grad school, and he was a math major.

mo34’s posts are pure gold! Hilarious

took calc I-III dif-e-Q, linear algebra, calc II and dif-e-Q were the most difficult for me

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34’s posts are pure gold! Hilarious and comp_sci_kid’s posts are pure nerdiness! Hilarious

I can’t remebr which course but matrix algerbra was quite challenging

I have to add this distance learning program to the thread, which was suggested to me by a Berkeley rep when I was wondering how to get my PDE while teaching. I’m top-loading the curriculum whenever the CFA stuff gets to messy for me, and can’t wait to get into it. http://www.cvn.columbia.edu/crs.php

senseijoao Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have to add this distance learning program to > the thread, which was suggested to me by a > Berkeley rep when I was wondering how to get my > PDE while teaching. > > I’m top-loading the curriculum whenever the CFA > stuff gets to messy for me, and can’t wait to get > into it. > > http://www.cvn.columbia.edu/crs.php Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great option as well. But a little pricey at 45K. http://www.cvn.columbia.edu/deg/app_math.php