Calculus 2-4

I am thinking of taking credit by examination for Calculus 2, 3 and 4 - which is basically fully independent learning and final exam is proctored. (Ohio university does it for $250 a class). Does anybody have any experience with those courses in general - how tough are they to study independently? I did Calc I in college, but trying to expand my options for some quant programs.

I taught calculus I/II/III to undergrads, its not difficult if you study with dedication. I used Etgen’s book which was pretty detailed. Even if you just try solving the examples from the book you will retain enough knowledge.

It also depends on how good at math you are. If you find this stuff easy to pick up, you’ll be fine. But there are always people in every math class who need a ton of hand-holding.

Are you looking to fulfill the math requirements for MFE or PhD programs, or are you just doing it to learn? If you are doing for the requirements, I would recommend taking Calc III (that’s multi-variate, right?) at a regular local college. That way you could report “traditional” credit for the course. It seems like a great move for Calc II, though

Thanks everyone, great advice. I am doing it to fulfil math requirements - would community college look bad for Calc 3?

just get Stewart’s Early Transcendentals + solution manual and learn on your own. no teacher can do a better job than teach you than this book.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > just get Stewart’s Early Transcendentals + > solution manual and learn on your own. > > no teacher can do a better job than teach you than > this book. lol i remember this book. calc 1 & 2 was just memorizing tricks, the more problems u do the easier it gets. calc 3 was pretty hard imo.

bernie_m Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks everyone, great advice. I am doing it to > fulfil math requirements - would community college > look bad for Calc 3? Would a cc even have that level of math? Maybe you could get away with it, but I would rather go to a state school for it. It will look better on the transcript. If you are applying to a quant program without a math / physical science / engineering background, you have to take extra steps o prove you are capable of handling he math. I would feel more comfortable with a transcript from a 4 yr school.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > just get Stewart’s Early Transcendentals + > solution manual and learn on your own. > > no teacher can do a better job than teach you than > this book. Stewart’s is pretty good. Im actually taking Calc 1 & 2 from UC Berkeley through the online extension program. Its a bit pricey at 1k (Book, paying the proctor, class fee) for the whole thing. For mulivariate Calc, I don’t know where else to take this except through Columbia’s video network thing. I’ve got the Calc 1 exam next weekend and pushing quickly through Calc 2 already, which I hope to have done by the end of of Nov. I want to take Calc 1,2,3, Diff. Eq, and Linear Algebra. I’m not sure whether anything beyond Calc 2 will really prove beneficial unless I want to become a quant, but I really just like learning math so I want to take these courses.

blackbelt: How do you like the distance thing? $1K for 3 cred8its is a good deal. Berkeley has a great rep. Do you get actual college credit and a transcript?

buyicide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > blackbelt: > > How do you like the distance thing? $1K for 3 > cred8its is a good deal. Berkeley has a great > rep. Do you get actual college credit and a > transcript? Agreed. 1k isn’t too bad and with the company paying for it, why not =). You get 4 semester credits in Math according to the website (see below). Distance learning is not bad at all. It does take longer to learn the material since you don’t really have anyone to ask or teach you, but I kindof like it this way because I’m forced to figure the problem out. I find myself sometimes taking as long as 45min for one problem. But its a great feeling when you solve it and you alone did it. Also, I just can’t stand leaving the answer unknown. Drives me nuts! I would caution though that without a strong algebra background, distance learning with these higher maths would be nearly impossible. Moving on to higher maths is so sequential and you will struggle a lot if you don’t have a solid base. I learned this the hard way back in highschool and college. While I got B’s in Alegrba in HS and an A in college, when I tried to move into Calc. I struggled severely because I just didn’t have the ability to manipulate equations well. I had to drop out of the classes. It wasn’t until I really formed a solid math base studying for the GMAT, which is great for learning actual problem solving, that I was able to finally understand Calc. That and the discipline to stick to the material and not give up. I get annoyed and throw the book across the room from time to time at a problem, but I don’t just skip it or give up. Sorry long post. http://extension.berkeley.edu/cat/online.html#math

Here is a link to Ohio distance learning courses: http://www.ohio.edu/independent/list2.htm They have Calc 3 and Diff Equations

don’t know exactly how these distance learning programs are structured, but in my opinion, classroom teaching of theorems/concepts = useless. calculus is all about problem-solving. does a distance-learning program have some sort of an after-class problem-solving session where you can work out problems and ask questions under the supervision of TA?

^ i agree with Mobius Striptease. you just have to work through the problems yourself, and then ask the TA about specific problems. all i did was read Stewart cover to cover, i can’t think of a better book for differential calc, integral calc, and multivariable calc.

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Distance learning is not bad at all. It does take > longer to learn the material since you don’t > really have anyone to ask or teach you, but I > kindof like it this way because I’m forced to > figure the problem out. I find myself sometimes > taking as long as 45min for one problem. But its > a great feeling when you solve it and you alone > did it. Also, I just can’t stand leaving the > answer unknown. Drives me nuts! > > I would caution though that without a strong > algebra background, distance learning with these > higher maths would be nearly impossible. Moving > on to higher maths is so sequential and you will > struggle a lot if you don’t have a solid base. I > learned this the hard way back in highschool and > college. While I got B’s in Alegrba in HS and an > A in college, when I tried to move into Calc. I > struggled severely because I just didn’t have the > ability to manipulate equations well. I had to > drop out of the classes. It wasn’t until I really > formed a solid math base studying for the GMAT, > which is great for learning actual problem > solving, that I was able to finally understand > Calc. That and the discipline to stick to the > material and not give up. I get annoyed and throw > the book across the room from time to time at a > problem, but I don’t just skip it or give up. > > > Sorry long post. > http://extension.berkeley.edu/cat/online.html#math Good post, thanks for sharing. I am applying to a M.A in applied math next month. Did you encounter any such program online ? I would love to find something where I just show up for exams. I hate sitting in class.

mo34, you are going to be one of those guys that will have to have a separate line after your name to list your degrees and designations. No, this is not meant to be offensive, rather a congratulations for having the desire to learn.

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34, you are going to be one of those guys that > will have to have a separate line after your name > to list your degrees and designations. No, this is > not meant to be offensive, rather a > congratulations for having the desire to learn. Thanks Ali. I don’t add any letters after my name by the way, I find the practice cheesy :). I have been looking for something new to learn after the SAS certification last June, and the Applied Math program looks interesting.

mo34, maybe you might consider looking into poker. there is a ridiculous amount to learn there and it can be very technical and mathematical. i’m sure you would make a killing.

Now this is a useful thread; thank you and well done, ladies and gentlemen.

Why not: http://netmath.uiuc.edu/