Calgary Job Market?

Hi, I’m just wondering how hot the job market in calgary is now. I’m thinking of moving there over the next few months and just want to be prepared for a long (hopefully short) job search process. Thanks.

I’m not out there myself, by I’ve been applying to a lot of stuff out there, and yes, it appears to be much hotter right now than TO. At least from where I’m sitting…

Depends on what you are looking for Calgary. The market has slowed down here due to the new propsed royalty increases and the fall out from the income trust decision but that said unemployemnt was 2.3% last month so I gues it is all relative. There seems to be a fair amount of hiring for proffessionals who can register as IC/PM’s for private wealth. The intermediates and majors still have a fair number of jobs posted and I have seen a number of ibanking positions open up at various levels.

The Calgary CFA society posts jobs on their website (www.calgarycfasociety.com). I do believe there is strong job demand in Calgary, you just need to specific with what you’re looking for.

Yeah, it is a good site. I’ve applied to a few jobs off of there. I’ve applied for some research stuff. Do you work in research FF?

No, I work corporate M&A & construction project development for an oil & gas major.

FlamesFan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No, I work corporate M&A & construction project > development for an oil & gas major. Gotcha. Did you do MBA, or just out of undergrad? Thx

I only have an undergrad in Computer Science & Finance. No MBA. Writing level 3 CFA here in June.

FlamesFan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I only have an undergrad in Computer Science & > Finance. No MBA. Writing level 3 CFA here in > June. Sounds good, thanks for the info. Good luck in your studies, I’m very behind!

bump I’m looking to jump out west for a few days next month or maybe in March. What are some of the local shops I can apply to in terms of equity research or AM? I am familiar with Tristone, Peters & Co and the major banks obviously. I don’t have a Bloomberg terminal at home, so I can’t use that to look. I am hoping to through some cold emailing, and potentially calling, to hook up with some folks out there, and perhaps even land an interview. But I guess I’d like to stress, that the primary objective of this trip will be networking. I’m not looking for someone to hand some ER Associate job by any means. I realize I have no experience, and am quite young for these roles. I am just looking to make contacts, and perhaps open some doors. My alternative is to work for a major oil & gas company for a bit out there for a bit, and see where that takes me in terms of breaking into the industry. Any help is greatly appreciated both on this forum, or via email: cfahalifax@gmail.com

local shops you might consider: Ross Smith Energy, Borealis, KERN Partners, Wolverton. pretty much anyone who hires for banking or research jobs looks for someone with either previous banking experience or having worked in a business development, m&a, or corporate finance role within an oil & gas co. that or being fresh out of school with top grades… if you don’t meet one of those criteria, its gonna be an uphill battle. not to say it can’t be done, but calgary can be tough to crack without knowing the right people. its a VERY small town. you honestly might consider working for an O&G company. there are lots of jobs available, and they are easier to get if you’ve got a couple levels of the CFA done. the pay isn’t quite as good as banking, but you get great experience, and you actually get to have a life. I work as a corp finance analyst for a large oil company…i get every second friday off. its not a bad gig…

jeff_s Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > local shops you might consider: Ross Smith > Energy, Borealis, KERN Partners, Wolverton. > > pretty much anyone who hires for banking or > research jobs looks for someone with either > previous banking experience or having worked in a > business development, m&a, or corporate finance > role within an oil & gas co. that or being fresh > out of school with top grades… > > if you don’t meet one of those criteria, its gonna > be an uphill battle. not to say it can’t be done, > but calgary can be tough to crack without knowing > the right people. its a VERY small town. > > you honestly might consider working for an O&G > company. there are lots of jobs available, and > they are easier to get if you’ve got a couple > levels of the CFA done. the pay isn’t quite as > good as banking, but you get great experience, and > you actually get to have a life. I work as a corp > finance analyst for a large oil company…i get > every second friday off. its not a bad gig… That’s something I am considering too Jeff. I’m very young, and have only more CFA exam, so I am not in a big panic. Just wanting to be getting some form of good industry experience. I hear there’s decent dough with major energy companies, 60 or more usually which isn’t horrible money in my book. It’s all about positioning yourself for LT

looks like i should move there, i have some good friends there so that’ll be alright, im just worried about the cold. don’t lie to me about the benefits of a ‘dry cold’ minus twenty is still exponentially colder then 5C no matter how damp it is. on another note, dont you think its risky for an economy to be so focused on oil and gas, from what I’ve heard that sector still dominantes calgary no matter how much the government claims diversification.

SeanC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------ > > on another note, dont you think its risky for an > economy to be so focused on oil and gas, from what > I’ve heard that sector still dominantes calgary no > matter how much the government claims > diversification. Probably somewhat true, but for me, I am not so concerned. I intend to stay somewhat liquid personally and financially, and don’t intent on really setting down roots, though we all know things can happen, but just get a decent job and see where life takes me.

I believe there also Energy Trading type positions available (e.g. "Real Time Trader - though I’m not sure what kind of pay or even what exactly they do) with the non-oil energy companies in Calgary. Anyone have any good insight about salary/scope for a “Real Time Trader” in energy?

Real Time Traders, manage the daily/hourly positions of a energy/gas company. In the electricity market, they mostly manage positions upto 24 hours ahead. In this capacity they either try to cover short positions (corporate or unexpected due to plant/transmission outages, weather effects) or sell-off long generation at “optimized” prices or in the worst case let the exposure run to spot prices. They also mange the import/export of power and bid prices for merchant generation. The electricity markets are very volatile where one hour the price might be $50/MW and the next it might jump to $1000/MW. Real time traders, work 24/7 in shifts, with a week on/off schedule or something similar. Salary is around $50k+. For some info about the power markets (and current power prices) in AB you can visit AESO (aeso.ca), the Alberta system operator. ICE (www.theice.com), the exchange were some of the power and gas products are traded.

-31 in Edmonton today with wind chill of -45 -32 in Calgary today with wind chill of -48 And my car got stuck in the snow while i was parking. Going to have to shovel it out after work. just an FYI :). but it was -2 only 2 days ago…

xck2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > -31 in Edmonton today with wind chill of -45 > -32 in Calgary today with wind chill of -48 > > And my car got stuck in the snow while i was > parking. Going to have to shovel it out after > work. > > just an FYI :). > > but it was -2 only 2 days ago… WOW. That is COLD!

yah, i just spent 45 minutes outside shoveling my car out. About the industry focused on Oil and Gas. I don’t have any facts to support my arguements, and most are estimates back by what i hear and read. But in terms of branching out to other sectors Alberta isn’t doing so bad. The oil is expected to last at least 10 to 15 years at least… Given that the new royalty item on the industy has slowed it down. But in terms of risk on the oil, it’s pretty safe. It’s still one of the cheapest tax on oil except one, iceland i think it was?? got this from the economist a while back, i think… The University of Alberta has been investing everything it has to promoting improvement in it’s health care center. most of what i get from the University Newsletters are about their improvement in the sector. such as their investment in building one the most technological advance nanotechnology research facility in the world. From what i hear from some students doing their masters program in health care, we have advance research in diabetes. In the last 4 years that i was at that University, i saw 4 Health care related buildings go up, 1 engineering, and the renovation of another engineering. granted, we aren’t really diversified atm. However, the government and the educational industries are making attempts to advance in other sectors. And with the oil being around for at least 10 years, I do not doubt we can move up to grow, or at least stabilize our economy without the oil/gas before any collapse occurs. disclaimer: I work for the gov, but none of this stuff is related to my work. I do not speak for the gov either. None of this shall be quoted as truth, but as someone just hearing/and seeing stuff happening around the area. I dont know whats going on in Calgary… it’s too cold to drive down tehre and look.