Call of Duty vs Medal of Honor

In terms of gameplay, CS 1.5 is ridiculously well-done, but the community (now) is just appallingly bad. Tons of people in game who are obnoxious, racist, cheating, or just plain out to make the game less fun (three teammates from a competitive clan joining the same side in a public server can make teams way unbalanced). Attitudes also seem to be generally pretty bad; people can’t stand the game if they’re playing anything less than “their best”. In my opinion, a lot of competitive games have this problem - they develop a really well thought out, interesting, and reliable set of game mechanics (balance of weapons/classes/maps/resources, etc) and then the community goes downhill as tons and tons of people flock to the game. It’s hard to think of an example where this isn’t the case. TF2’s mechanics are not perfect (I play it casually as comp_sci said) but the community is by far consistently excellent - generally upbeat and respectful of each other, and no one loses their mind if they get a bad break or are not playing too well on a given day.

NERD ALERT!!!

NYCGorilla Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NERD ALERT!!! good call…but how did you choose this discussion over the cfa vs. actuary?

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NYCGorilla Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > NERD ALERT!!! > > > good call…but how did you choose this discussion > over the cfa vs. actuary? I have a soft spot in my heart for calculating life expectancy, pocket calculators, and wired rimmed glasses. But absolutely no sympathy for lazy nerds who claim that playing video games is a competitive skill.

I didn’t need school. All I ever cared about were video games, and they’ve made me a millionaire. So, maybe I don’t know what the civil war was, or who invented the helicopter, even though I own one - but I did beat The Legend of Zelda before I could walk. Yeah. I’m thinking of getting metal legs. It’s a risky operation, but it’ll be worth it.

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- i love that movie and continue to want a taekwondo monkey

NYCGorilla Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > But absolutely no sympathy for > lazy nerds who claim that playing video games is a > competitive skill. Will you teach me how to slay bitches like you? /fist pump

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Halo series will always be untouchably #1 in my > mind (except Halo 2, we can all agree that was > garbage). If I had to build a FPS all time list > it may go like this: > > 1) Halo Series > 2) Golden Eye (built the genre) > 3) Unreal Tournament > 4) COD > 5) Half Life > 5) Jedi Knight 2 > 6) Quake > 7) Perfect Dark > 8) Counter Strike > 9) Doom > 10) ? Come on man… Duke Nukem 3D was the best.

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Black Swan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Halo series will always be untouchably #1 in my > > mind (except Halo 2, we can all agree that was > > garbage). If I had to build a FPS all time > list > > it may go like this: > > > > 1) Halo Series > > 2) Golden Eye (built the genre) > > 3) Unreal Tournament > > 4) COD > > 5) Half Life > > 5) Jedi Knight 2 > > 6) Quake > > 7) Perfect Dark > > 8) Counter Strike > > 9) Doom > > 10) ? > > > Come on man… Duke Nukem 3D was the best. McLeod, long time no see, how’s life been treating you post LIII?

Well PS3 and XBOX pretty much killed competitive FPS gaming. FPS gaming WAS competitive on PC. People were making real money by being in competitive CS clans, or by playing tourneys in UT or Quake3 and clan sponsoring.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In terms of gameplay, CS 1.5 is ridiculously > well-done, but the community (now) is just > appallingly bad. Tons of people in game who are > obnoxious, racist, cheating, or just plain out to > make the game less fun (three teammates from a > competitive clan joining the same side in a public > server can make teams way unbalanced). Attitudes > also seem to be generally pretty bad; people can’t > stand the game if they’re playing anything less > than “their best”. > > In my opinion, a lot of competitive games have > this problem - they develop a really well thought > out, interesting, and reliable set of game > mechanics (balance of > weapons/classes/maps/resources, etc) and then the > community goes downhill as tons and tons of people > flock to the game. It’s hard to think of an > example where this isn’t the case. > > TF2’s mechanics are not perfect (I play it > casually as comp_sci said) but the community is by > far consistently excellent - generally upbeat and > respectful of each other, and no one loses their > mind if they get a bad break or are not playing > too well on a given day. What i personally like about TF2 is that there is no Cone of Fire BS… Community is truly good comparing to UT3 community…

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 1) Golden Eye (Hands Down) > 2) Halo (The genesis of LAN/Internet console > gaming) > 3) Half Life > 4) COD > 5) Unreal > 6) Return To Castle Wolfenstein (Old School Xbox, > this game was sick on Xbox Live) > 7) Counter Strike > 8) Perfect Dark > > That’s about all of the FPS games I’ve played. Pretty much in line w/ my list though I’d put counterstrike at least at #3 or combine w/ HL. Speaking of, when the hell is HL3 coming out? They left us hanging pretty badly on that one.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > McLeod81 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Black Swan Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Halo series will always be untouchably #1 in > my > > > mind (except Halo 2, we can all agree that > was > > > garbage). If I had to build a FPS all time > > list > > > it may go like this: > > > > > > 1) Halo Series > > > 2) Golden Eye (built the genre) > > > 3) Unreal Tournament > > > 4) COD > > > 5) Half Life > > > 5) Jedi Knight 2 > > > 6) Quake > > > 7) Perfect Dark > > > 8) Counter Strike > > > 9) Doom > > > 10) ? > > > > > > Come on man… Duke Nukem 3D was the best. > > > McLeod, long time no see, how’s life been treating > you post LIII? Doing good man, starting a new job in February doing investment manager research/due diligence. How have life and the CFA been treating you?

Black Swan: If you have Black Ops we should get a match going sometime.

Mcleod, I don’t actually have an xbox anymore. I lost mine a couple years back (still an enigma) and never replaced it (spent too much time on it). My bro plays, I am contemplating it, but probably not this year yet. Got a sweet job in market risk covering international sovereigns and financials in short duration funds last summer after some dicey shenannigans at my old stop gap job. Been enjoying my free time post CFA, becomming very outdoorsy.